Does this sound like Cushing Disease or Allergy?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by oreosmom, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oreosmom

oreosmom Member

Hi All,

Oreo is a diabetic that also has GI lymphoma. He has been on Lantus, prednisilone and Leukeran for about a year and a half. In the past month he has started licking the underside of the tail near his rectum. He entirely licked off the fur. Then we noticed his hair thinning and falling out. But his lower underbelly is red, hot and irritated! The hair around his collar is thinning out in patches! He looks really miserable and has no energy! He is eating OK. We took him to the vet today (third visit this month) and she said it looked like a contact dermatitis but....also was concerned about Cushing's Disease. She said Cushing's was very rare in cats. She put him on an antihistamine, and a spray called VetericynVF. She switched the prednisilone to prednisone.

Coincidentally, we had a dishwasher leak in our kitchen the day after Thanksgiving! It was worse than we thought and the entire floor had to be removed. A real mess! The floor had asbestos in it and a haz-mat team had to come out and remove the asbestos tiles. They did use a spray to subdue any fallout from the asbestos and dust. This is all around the same time Oreo started his symptoms!!! We are still without a floor since the re-construction isn't done.

Can Cushing's disease cause hot, red itchy skin with hair loss? Or does this sound like a skin allergy? The vets arent even sure. Is there a test to confirm Cushing's? We are very worried!

I appreciate any input! Signed, Oreo's Worried Mom

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

My Kiddle (civvie) had food allergies. Licked herself raw and then it formed a thickened plaque on the belly.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would say allergy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.