Dog mange question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Steph & Cuddles (GA), Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

A friend that's going to watch Misha while out of town has 2 dogs being treated for 'non-contagous' mange. Are they REALLY not contageous to Misha? (Dog) I just don't need to be spending $ ontreatment when I get back. The dogs have been on meds for 2 weeks now.

Thanks!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It depends up the type of mange. There are three types. Demodectic Mange is not really contagious. Cheyletiella mange is contagious but short lived. Sarcoptic mange is contagious to both animals and humans. See:
    http://www.canismajor.com/dog/mange1.html

3. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Steph

Demodex/demodectic mange is not contagious. If she has two adult dogs, I wonder why they have mange as this is generally a disease of puppies, elderly dogs, and dogs with immune system issues. If she is not supplementing their immune systems I'd start, and I'd start with Gluta-DMG.

4. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

thanks Larry & Jess! Actually they are 2 puppies adopted from the county shelter a few months ago! He said they told him it was from the stress of a new home & stuff like that. They only gave him meds for them & the dose is .6ml?? These are about 5 month old mastiff mixes! So they're not small puppies..

5. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

I took Misha over tonight to make sure they'd get along (Misha doesn't always play well with other dogs). :razz: LOVES cats, but has to dominate every dog she sees. :roll: Thankfully, she gets along with most puppies, because they either 1) don't know any better or 2) don't care. ;-) Here they are when they were FINALLY slowing down!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 7863_n.jpg

& then even later, all passed out. :smile:
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 4397_n.jpg

Thanks for the info & reading material! I knew one was contagious, and the other wasn't, but I thought they were both caused by mites.. so I didn't understand how one couldn't be contagious when it still involved mites. Poor things faces look so bad!

6. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

They are littermates, right? I was thinking after I posted last night that it would be weird for two unrelated dogs in the same household to get demodex.

7. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

bwhahahahahah! I'm sorry, but that first picture is HILARIOUS!! :lol: I love the way misha is laying that is tooo funny!

8. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

PS She should get them on Gluta-DMG, seriously, it usually works.

9. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Yes, sorry! Should have explained that. They're littermates from the county shelter. They look like twins, except for one of them has white on the tip of her front toes. Hard to tell them apart otherwise! I thought it was REALLY cute, that the fur at the VERY tip of their tails have either white, or black on it. The one with the white toes has the white fur at the end of the tail (like, the very end of the fur that goes to a point after the tail ends) and the other one has a little black point at the end. :smile:

I'll pass the info along about the Gluta-DMG.. thanks! He said the oral meds weren't doing much, and he just ran out yesterday. They SAID it was enough for 30 days, but obviously don't know what they're talking about, and can't do math. He was telling me some other things his vet told him about his cat's eye, and he REALLY needs to find another vet. I'll definitely tell him about the Gluta-DMG though. Guessing he can order it online, or find it in the stores? It's not prescription?

10. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

I found it online, but do you know of any stores that carry it? Also, how long would he have to give it to them? I see that it's not cheap, and he'll have to figure out how much of it he needs for treating 2 large puppies at the same time.

ETA: He just let me know they weigh right around 40 lb each! WOW! LOL Almost Misha's size at 5 months old. :razz: I just see some chewable tablets online, as well as some bigger buckets of powder. So depending on how much they should get for the mange, because of how big they are, I wanted to make sure he bought enough, but not too much! It doesn't look too cheap, and he just got his 30 day notice at work. :sad:

Thanks for all the info!

11. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Both Otis & Domino had demodectic mange when they were younger - probably between 4-6 months. I gave them daily minute doses of ivermectin orally as well as daily doses of cephalexin, (antibiotic), vitamins, and l-lysine for about 60 days. For the MOST part, that cleared them up, but they still had a few patches of the mange on them. On the suggestion of a friend who was dealing with the same issue on her puppy, I bought a tube of something called Nu-Stock and after bathing them really, REALLY well with anti-bacterial dish-washing liquid, I slathered it on the mangy spots. Within a week, the mange was GONE. And it has never returned. Mind you, the stuff stinks to high heaven, (pine oil and sulfur are its main ingredients), but it definitely cured the demodex in short order.

I have a friend whose dog has had hot spot and balding issues for years and nothing that vet did made those hot spots get better, or the hair grow back. So we slapped some Nu-stock on the hot spots and in a few days, they were gone and the hair grew back, too. Now I use the stuff on all of the boo boos that my dogs get and it heals them up really quickly. http://www.nustock.com/

~M

12. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Oh wow.. thanks Mary! Maybe once he gets it under control, he can switch to that stuff. Or maybe use that stuff on their faces.. their faces look soo bad! He does have some kind of shampoo for them, that's FOR the mange I believe? He said it helps, but it only helps for a couple of days. I can't imagine it's easy bathing two 40 lb puppies that often.. WITH 2 kids running around screaming!

13. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Steph,

A really good dandruff shampoo will help loosen the scaly patches as well as that RX shampoo.
    Have him mix it 50/50 with anti-bacterial dish-washing liquid and bathe the dogs with that every 3rd day.
    He needs to really scrub the scaly patches well, (I used a nubby washcloth as my scrubber),
    and let it sit on the dogs for about 3 minutes and then rinse like mad.

He also needs to get the immune system of the pups up because demodex flare-ups happen due to low immune system.
    I used pre-natal vitamins and the l-lysine each and every day to help boost my pups' immune system.

The Nu-stock will definitely help with the patches on their faces/necks - but he needs to rub it in really well,
    or he will find yellow streaks on the furniture where the dogs will try and rub it off, (it really stinks).
    (Yes, I had yellow streaks on my furniture - thank goodness it is leather and wiped off easily!! lol)

~M

14. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Thanks!!! I'm passing all of this info along to him. :smile: He appreciates it too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.