? Doing A Curve After Missed Dose(s)...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Louellen, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Louellen

Louellen Member

Hey All...

Just need some opinions with some mis-haps going on with Morrigan.

We've had some setbacks in terms of getting Morrigan regulated because in my zeal to get her onto canned foods, it caused digestive upsets and she ended up with bouts with colitis that needed Flagyl to regulate. After a couple of trials in getting her off of the m/d kibble and onto canned food and MORE bouts with colitis, our vet decided that she should stay put on the m/d kibble and dose to the numbers that the m/d kibble (yes, I know...I know...but, I'm at wit's end with it all too now). The most important thing was to clear up the colitis and then, work on the dosing.

Ok, so, seemingly (knock on wood it is) her colitis has been ok for a few days now, off of the Flagyl (Metronidazole sp?). But, of course, her numbers are WAY up there so, it's seemingly time to get at upping her dose.

I am to do a home curve tomorrow (Sunday) BUT...last night, the needle bent as hubby went to give her, her shot and we counted that as a Fur Shot and of course, did not try to re-shoot.

This morning, in bracing myself for a high number and seeing it at a 20.4....I was panic stricken and unsure if I dialled the 1 U up on the dial (we're using the Solostar pen injector for now and sanctioned by her vets and the pharmacist). I'm pretty sure that I did as I always test the pen injector first (as per pen instructions) then, re-dial to her number and shoot. But, I'm now, panicked and not 100% sure that I did get that dose in either!

Given the 1, possibly 2, mis-steps with injections these past 2 doses, (will test again at +5 to see if her numbers are coming down as I have to go out tonight to a birthday dinner), will doing her curve tomorrow skew the results too badly for the vet to help him judge by or should I wait one more day (until Monday as I will be home all day again) to do the curve?

Opinions?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I consider that two messed up doses back to back will results in the tomorrows cure not being that representative. I would just take a BG at about 6 hours.
    I hae use the pen injectors and found them harder to use because of two issues. The first being the pen is long and when you have your thumb on the button is it harder to inject. Also, unless you leave the pen needle i for about 10 seconds after injecting some insulin a drop or two will drip out of the needle. At a low does like 1 or two units that is significant. I just use the syringe to draw the insulin out of the pen

Critter Mom and Louellen like this.
  3. Louellen

Louellen Member

Thanks Larry and Kitties. I am going to check her at the +5 frame to see if the shot this a.m. Did get in. It was me who perhaps goofed this morning and not the pen. I might not have dialled it again after testing it as per instructions on the pen. Last night hubby shot and the needle bent so ended up a fur shot.

I think I might take your advice and wait one more day to do the curve. I guess I am just anxious to get her vet's blessing on a dosage upping as the food has definitely caused a rise. I hate it.

But I will be switching to syringes with an upped dose I am sure because he will likely go with a. 5 increase which will require syringe dosing.

How long do you think I should wait to do a curve after 1, possibly 2 missed doses? I am so mad at myself right now!!!!

By the way, I do hold and count 10 seconds before removing.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would wait until Tuesday. Monday wild be OK if you did not mess up this morning dose.

5. Louellen

Louellen Member

Thank you so very much, Larry and Kitties. :)

I did a +5 check then, had to go out for the evening to a friend's birthday dinner. Her +5 number showed that the dose HAD gotten in yesterday morning. :) So, only the ONE shot the night before was a Fur Shot. I think I will go ahead with the curve today and possibly, do some in between spot checks on Monday as well to fill in the gaps. I need a set of hands to help me as Morrigan won't allow testing without someone else holding her so, while I have the hands consistently every 2 hours....I will do it and let my vet see the rest of the SS as well to gauge by. He's also going to want to do some blood work and urinalysis as well this week too so....fingers crossed for the proper decision by our vet... :) :bighug: (And...for me to be able to get a test in every 2 hours! YIKES...that is difficult with Morrigan. Doing my best though! :) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.