Don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ChianaDad, May 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChianaDad

ChianaDad New Member

Our cat, Chiana, is nearly 17. We just got a message from the vet that she has feline diabetes. Chiana is a very difficult cat to handle. She does not let you pick her up, she really doesn't even liked to be touched unless you are laying in bed and she lays next to you. Plus, she is a super-picky eater.

Those things make the prospect of treating her difficult. Add to that a very strained and unsteady financial picture in our family. Plus, I myself am rather physically ill.

We don't know what to do. Do we go into debt to treat her? What if we just can't wrangle her for daily shots? Should we just let her live out the rest of her days without stressing her with food changes and trying to wrestle her to give her medication?

How long would she have to live if treated! How long if untreated? How will we know if she is beginning to suffer? What do we tell our grade-school daughter?

There is so much strain in our home with my being ill and the uncertain job and financial situation. We are kost trying to deal with this new news.

CD

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

CD, it can be overwhelming at first. But manageable. We have lots of cost saving ideas.

First, are you giving insulin yet?

What food are you using?

What was the test result the vet got to make the diagnosis?

What symptoms have you noticed that caused you to go to the vet?

3. ChianaDad

ChianaDad New Member

We literally just found out in a voice mail that the blood tests came back showing feline diabetes and to call to discuss options. So we haven't started anything yet.

I took achiana to the vet because she had been drinking twice as much water the past couple if weeks and oeeing a whole ot more. Otherwise, she's pretty much been her usual self.

She doesn't eat much hse days. We have always let her grqze on regular dry food. We do give her wet food in the evening, but she never ate more than a third of a can. Now she barly finishes a teaspoon. Odd,y enough, she's not anymore lethargic than her usual lay about self.

I just wonder if at 17 we would be giving her more trauma trying to treat her, chanfe her food, etc. - or if we should let her live out her days the way she has been kiving her whole life.

CD

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I understand your feelings with her age. Untreated she will get worse and the possibility of diabetic ketone acidosis (DKA) is high. DKA can be fatal very very quickly.

Diabetic Cats need low carb food. Dry food is very high in carbs. Wet food under 10% carbs is preferred. Most people use Fancy Feast pate. You could try the food change since you haven't started insulin yet.

With that being said, you are one who has to make the decision of what to do. Make the decision with love for your kitty and her best interest in mind. Hugs for you all. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  5. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

When my cat was diagnosed he was in the 500s. My vet told me he would only live another month max and it would be a ugly and painful way to end his life. He suggested putting him to sleep if I wasn't going to treat. Every cat is different but I don't think the end of uncontrolled feline diabetes is any different for most cats.
    I left the vet sobbing thinking I'd have to put him to sleep. 8 months later and he's still going strong.
    I'm sorry you're in the situation you've described. Others might have some advice on having a hard to handle cat.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

This is a tough situation. I have a few former strays that would be difficult to treat if I ever had to.... I'm really fortunate that my diabetic cat is chill.
    As others have said, low carb fancy feast is the go to food around here, but since your cat is semi feral and is difficult to touch, that does make treating more difficult.... Although there are people on here that manage. There are also some cats that when switched to low carb do quite well.

Diabetic cats ideally need to eat foods under 10 % carb... Even the perscription dry is around 14-16%. Here's what I would try....

1. Get fancy feast classic wet foods. If she will eat it, great! If not....
    2. Crush a bit of her dry kibble and sprinkle it on top. Gradually reduce the special topping. If that doesn't work you could.....
    3. Sprinkle a food enhancer on top such as FortiFlora or Bonito flakes (both available on amazon)...
    4. If she just isn't going for the wet.... Or if you want to give her a dry food option like I give my kibble loving cat, go to the website Youngagainpetfood.com and email them for a free sample of the Young Again Zero or Young Again Zero Mature food.... It's, get this, only around 1% carb. I would highly recommend this food and credit it with helping my cat into remission.

A few other lower carb drys are Evo cat and kitten in the purple bag and Dr.Elsley's available on their website.... Both at about 8%.

To compare the food your cat is in now is probably 30-40% carb.

Some people find they can give their hard to handle cats an injection quickly in the scruff while they are distracted eating. others need to towel their cat to do injections.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  7. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Chiana and her daddy!
    I'm sorry to hear the difficult decision you are faced with. I'm with the others in trying a diet change with her first before starting insulin, if that's what you decide. Regardless, put her best interest first and consider her quality of life. We are here to help you with whichever decision you decide :bighug:

8. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Try and get the BG numbers from your vet so we can at least see how bad it is. More than likely the did a frutosamine test (similar to an A1-c test for humans). You might be surprised how much numbers can and will change with just a diet (food) change.

If you get that #, post it so we have an idea how high the BG is. :bighug:

Deep breaths and take it one step at a time.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.