Don't know whether to give insulin this a.m. or not

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sabastian, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sabastian

sabastian New Member

I had quite a scare yesterday with Sabastian. He is on Humilin N, and has been for 8 yrs. His dosage was adjusted by the vet about a month ago because he had a hypoglycemic episode. He is suppose to be on 3 units a.m. and 3 units p.m. He ate as normal, and I gave him his shot as normal. Around 12 noon he started walking in circles, sniffing like he was confused. I tested his bg and it was 12!!! I was so scared. Gave him honey/wet food, and it started coming back up to 39, then last night at 10 it was 139. Now this morning at 8 am it was 219. I don't know whether to give him any, or decrease the dose. My vet seem to not know what to do. I need to find a new vet that knows about this. Anyone have any suggestions on whether I should give him insulin or not.?

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

What was his bg before you shot him yesterday? Did you test him before shooting yesterday?

3. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

I'm glad everything turned out well and that you were there to catch Sabastian.

Decreasing the dose sounds like a great idea. Just make sure he is eating well before giving him insulin.

4. sabastian

sabastian New Member

No, I didn't test his bg yesterday. :( I usually don't unless he seems like he is having a problem. He has been on this new dose of Humilin N since 6-21 and has been fine. The only thing I can think of that might of happened, is...A. he didn't eat enough, or B. I gave the previous night dose at 10 instead of 745 like I usually do, then gave the a.m. dose at 830 am. His reaction happened around noon. Now it is 219 this morning, and I am scared to give him any insulin.

5. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

When you get a lower than normal preshot (especially on N), conventional wisdom is to reduce the dosage.

When you have a cat go into hypo range (or serious hypo range as your did) conventional wisdom is that that the cat may be extra sensitive to insulin.

If this were my cat, I believe I might hold the am shot, and take another look see at his BG level before the pm shot. He may have a pancreas that is trying to work.

If I did give him a shot, it would be highly reduced, like 1U, and I would be testing him every three huors or so.

6. sabastian

sabastian New Member

What is a lower than normal level preshot? What bg range am I to go on?

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Sabastian's normal preshot. But then it sounds like you might not know what that is. Hence, my suggestions for what I would do if he were my cat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.