Don’t think I can get blood sample, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julie and Honey, Dec 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

I have been watching videos, reading here, etc. to learn all about getting blood sample. I’ve even been rubbing my kitties ears the last couple of days to get her used to me touching them, she puts up with this for a few seconds, that’s about it. Today I planned to check her BG at home for first time after being on low carb diet for a week (not on insulin yet).

Set up my shiny new Alphatrack meter I bought kitty for Christmas! Opened the vial of very expensive AT2 strips, tilted vial to very carefully get one out and dropped $10 worth of strips on the kitchen floor. Arrrrgh! Picked them up wiped with dry paper towel ( just cat hair on them, lol) and wrapped them in tin foil so not exposed to light or humidity, did not want to put back in vial as was not sure if that would affect other strips. Now I am ready for the cat!

First let me say my cat is extremely laid back, so I figured she would just lay there (on her kitty condo ledge that is 3 feet off floor) for a blood sample. Easy, right? I rubbed her ear a little to warm it up. She let me stick her but I was not able to get a drop of blood, the little that came out just soaked into her fur. I think what she really does not like is me to keep messing with her ear to try and get the blood to come out after I poke her. No luck. She jumped off her perch and walked away.

Next tried getting on the floor and holding her (extremely difficult due to I have bad knees and bad back). Since mommy never gets on the floor, she has figured out mommy is up to something (I normally just pick her up from her perch). Used a little neosporin (vs. Vaseline) on ear edge this time so blood didn’t soak into her fur, again not enough blood. Tried massaging ear to get blood to come out more, she starts struggling to get away, I lean to catch her and felt my back go. Lovely, no blood sample and I screwed up my back.

After 2 tries, gave up, didn’t want to stress her out anymore. I will have to take a handful of pills so I will be able to walk later today and tomorrow after the floor stunt.

After this experience I am thinking I will not be able to test her at home. Any suggestions? I am alone and have no one to help me do this and I am in bad shape physically. Seems like I need 4 hands to hold the cat and get the blood. Burrito kitty? They do that at the vet, not sure she would let me do that.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Don't give up hope, Julie, very few of us were successful with the first test, and sometimes many many afterward LOL. It takes awhile for the ears to "learn to bleed". The more tests=more capillaries develop=easier to get that drop.
    Keep doing what you are doing, find that place where you can be comfortable, and Honey is safe. I can't get down on the floor either, if I did, that's where I would have to stay! Keep practicing, even without the lancet and meter.
    Find a low carb treat that Honey loves, offer it, play with her ears, then give her another one. As many times a day as you can manage. Maybe just small pieces of baked chicken if that's what you can do.
    Are you using a lancet device? That works for some, not so well for others. The vaseline/neosporin is a great help to make that blood drop bead up..or get it on your clean fingernail and then use the meter strip. That works too.
    It's simply patience and practice, there are two of us here to test Idjit, and we were a total mess at first. If I had the presence of mind to record I could probably have won a prize on America's Funniest Home Videos!

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Please do not give up. Testing can be pretty dramatic and stressful in the very beginning, but it really does get easier a lot quicker than you would think. If you warm the ear before sticking, it will bleed a lot better. It makes a huge difference. You really should not have to rub/milk the ear after you stick (I imagine that just irritates the cat/ear more). You should just have a little drop come up. Some people put rice in a sock and microwave it then hold that to the cat's ear. I get the corner of a washcloth wet with VERY hot water (because it starts cooling immediately) and wring out the excess. I hold that to Mia's ear before sticking. Then, after I get the blood on the testing strip, I use the wet cloth to wipe the area and apply light pressure for a few seconds. I do her testing in a cat tower that is a comfortable height for me. Food can go a long way in helping with the process. I always have a little bowl with treats in it available to Mia when I test her. Early on, she would start eating her treat immediately, and I would test her while she was eating. Then, she started standing there to let me test before she ate her treat. Part of it is you gaining confidence with the process. As you get more comfortable, she will get more comfortable. Fake it until you get there. Some people sing while they test or at least talk to the cat during it. Just act like everything you are doing is perfectly fine and normal, and it will be, soon. :)

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

As the others have said, don’t give up! I used to sit in a chair with my cat on my lap and all my supplies on the table in reach. Be sure her ear is warm, and make sure your lancets are 25-28 gauge. It make take a few tries, but you’ll get it!

5. Julie and Honey

Thanks to you both. Good advice.

I used a warm washcloth to clean her ear first, but waited to stick til her ear was dry, if heat will help better than massaging, she does not mind me putting a warm damp wash cloth, was worried if fur was still damp, water may dilute sample?

Haha, funny you mention singing. I sang “soft kitty” song in the car on the way to the vet, she seemed to like it even if mommy can’t carry a tune in a bucket, lol.

Mommy already had a glass of wine and it is only 3pm in Chicago, lol...

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

We still have to kitty burrito Boozle. We had to do it with Frank for a few weeks and he fought like an SOB. We would try without the burrito each time. One day he just quit fighting. He got to where he knew it was time, jumped up in his testing spot and sat there for it. We are patiently waiting for Boozie to get there too. Since we have been through it before, we kind of try to have a sense of humor about his grumpy struggles. When you start testing, there is a lot of pressure. You really need that data and you barely know what you are doing. Then, you have to do something that upsets and annoys the cat, and can be perceived as hurting them -- and that isn't what we do. We love and protect them and try to make them happy. It's just a bunch of crappy feelings and most people have them, but they don't help. As hard as it is, you have to put all that out of your head and remind yourself you ARE helping and you ARE doing the right thing, even though it's frustrating and upsets everyone. Take a deep breath and hang in there.

7. Julie and Honey

Thanks for support and advice. I’ll have to experiment wrapping her up in a towel like a burrito. She likes to be cuddled, I hold her like a baby all the time and she will sometimes fall asleep in my arms like that, so she may be okay with it, poor kitty.

8. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Every cat is different, but with any cats I have I had, I have found it to be best to use the least amount of restraint possible when doing anything with them. If you can make testing a 'fun' event associated with positive things, it might get better quicker than if it turns into something where the cat is being restrained. It sounds like she was pretty cooperative with your first attempt while she was on the kitty condo ledge. Maybe if you try it there again but have something ready to warm her ear (if you are using a hot cloth and have wrung out the excess water, the little bit of dampness on the ear should not be a problem) and have a treat for her, it will go better. And try out the 'Soft Kitty' song, too. :D

9. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Testing treat afterwards! Always! Treats that aren't given other times or something that's extra special. Small amt of freeze dried chicken or shrimp get to almost all of them.

It takes time - keep going, in a couple of weeks you'll wonder what the big deal was.

As for the strips, just put them back in the container, they're fine. You by far not the first to do that nor will you be the last...heck, I've been doing this dance for many years and over 20,000 tests, I just dumped out half the container a couple of days ago when one got stuck crossways keeping the others from coming out. :)

10. Julie and Honey

She has not gotten any treats since I stopped the dry last week. Will have to check out the freeze dried stuff. She really likes to be brushed, as much as treats, maybe I will put her brush by the testing area and brush after testing until I can get some other treats.

FurBabiesMama likes this.
  11. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

That's my extra sweet boy's preference too - he's never been a big 'treat' cat. He much prefers brushing, petting and just 'mama time'. It doesn't have to be 'food'. :)

12. LindanHuey

LindanHuey Member

At the moment, the only time I can get blood, after a week of no luck, is just before I give him a little snack around midday. Slowly, I'll be trying other times. I found when I relaxed about it, kitty was easy to deal with. Plus, I use a cheap little powder puff pad from the $ shop, with the band across the back, that slips over my finger so I'm not messing around with cotton balls etc so as not to prick myself. That helped alot.

13. Julie and Honey

Thanks. Yeah, that makes sense. Part of the problem is I tried to do it when she hadn’t’t eaten for several hours and she was hungry. Maybe if I do it after she eats a little, but quick enough the food isn’t affecting her sugar yet, that might work, she is always calmer and ready for a nap after she eats.

14. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

I'd like to echo the sentiment of as little restraint as possible. We burritoed both these grumpy guys because they were both very sick and were simply not having it. We always tried, with each test, to do it without restraint first. They vet we have been seeing over the past several years is very gentle with them and our kitties let them do whatever to them. The last vet we had, I ended up getting loud with everyone in the room for being too rough. They were shocked that kitty stayed still while getting a shot. Boozle took his first test without a struggle this morning.

15. Hogan

Hogan Member

My first couple of attempts to home test were farcical, there was blood everywhere from both the cat and from me, and the cat was thoroughly disgusted with me.

What helped me the most was to use a lancet device. I watched the videos where many people were using the lancet by hand, and that just ended up with me piercing the cat's ears and my fingers. I thought for sure the cat would not like the clicking of the lancet device, but I was so wrong. The lancet device is so fast and precise, the cat really doesn't feel it. I have a small folded piece of cloth that I hold underneath the other side of the ear to give a stable surface to place the lancet against.

The next thing that helped me was to focus on the "sweet" spot. There's a picture in post #9 of this thread.

Finally, if your cat is fairly chill, I found it easiest to approach him from behind. I'll put him on the bed and pet him a bit, and then I start rubbing both his ears from behind which is a more natural position and he doesn't give me the WTF look. First I get my AT2 meter ready by having the strip in the meter but not pushed all the way in yet. Then I prick his ear with the lancet device (sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times to get a spot that readily bleeds), when I see a little prick of blood, I sort of pump the skin around it a little bit to get enough, and then I keep holding his ear with one hand while I push the strip into the AT2 meter with the other and then test.

16. Julie and Honey

Thanks, I appreciate it. Yes, I learned about the “sweet spot”, approaching from the back, etc (I am a planner and read everything I could here and watched videos to make sure I could do it right and not hurt the cat) problem is it is so close to the edge, I am concentrating so much on trying to be on the edge and not hitting the vein, but it is such a small area and the cats hair extends past the edge a little also, so hard to judge the exact spot without hitting the vein. I was afraid to use the pen because that would be even harder to judge where it would hit.

17. Hogan

Hogan Member

I wouldn't worry so much about hitting the vein, I've hit it several times as well as several other "wrong" spots and it was just fine. Just keep a little pressure on it afterwards.

18. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Don't give up after just a few tries. The first two weeks I had a lot of failed attempts. Give a treat for every try whether successful or not. The ears will eventually learn to bleed

19. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

BTW the dropped strips should be fine

20. LindanHuey

LindanHuey Member

an update..I have found that combing kitty for a minute or two, which he loves!! relaxes him and quite blisses him out, and success! in getting the blood out. And no one else in the room watching and giving advice.

JanetNJ likes this.
  21. Julie and Honey

Thanks all! Was able to get sample today using device, yesterday was doing freehand and grabbing her ear, today I set device on low without the cap, but her head was moving as she was eating ( I gave her a little canned salmon to keep her occupied), so I ended up sticking just to the inside if vein accidentally, never would have gotten the edge with her head moving. I don’t want to end up with a kitty with pierced ears! I hope using device is not going through ear! I put neosporin on, but only had regular, not pain relief. She seems fine.

I posted a new post about next steps From here (I have still not started insulin, just diet change so far), if anyone wants to chime in on that thread, I welcome your advice.

Sorry some of my posts are long, I find it hard to keep it short because I am afraid I am going to forget to include some pertinent information.

I am going to make an effort to be more concise in 2019, lol.

Tina and Boozle likes this.
  22. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

I've written this before, but I had one of the most skittish spastic torties alive. I would have to show up at the vet at 10 or 11 oclock pm for a checkup, (emergency vet with anytime hours for same price), because I could never catch her and pick her up for a planned appointment-hence the nickname KlawzMcgee. I have scars to prove it. When diagnosed in October I freaked because I had no idea how I was going to corral her for 2xday insulin/ BG check. She was a 'touch me not' kitty. The first few days were horrible and trying to catch before work for her shot was a nightmare and I even fell on my knees (they are both knee replacements!!) trying to catch her. I think my stress exacerbated her stress. Flash forward to today: twice a day she automatically comes to the sofa and lays down for her ear prick and shot WILLINGLY because she knows she will get a couple of Temptation treats and will be fed. I keep a tv tray by the sofa arm with all her stick/shot supplies. She is a totally different cat. I never dreamed she would willingly be stuck, and now lets me pick her up and hold her a short time too.

Anyway, I use people lancets 21 g with the the lancet pen that came with AlphaTrak. I have free handed it too but prefer the pen. She has gotten used to the click. Only rarely do I not get blood by sticking the outside of the ear in the sweet spot edge near the tip. You can see the vein along the edge. Once you know where it is (a light inside the ear will show it) you just stick there. ( be sure to alternate ears and spots) My vet tech showed me to stick the inside of the ear and massage the blood out but that NEVER worked. She still doesn't love me to hold her ear for long and if a big drop of blood comes out she tries to flick her ear and has spilled it on me and the sofa. But if I miss or dont get blood she lets me stick again. She is so patient and sweet now (no pun on diabetes intended, lol).

Whatever your furbaby loves use it as a reward. I think Zoe would do anything for a Temptation Treat, and breathe! Your apprehension feeds his/or hers. Oh yeah I keep the treats on the table, so it is associated with the shot. I used to keep them in the original bag but they can smell them and would get up on the tray and poke at the bag. I started putting them in a glass jar so the aroma doesnt torment.:joyful:

23. Julie and Honey

Thanks. She's a very mellow kitty. Just something new and I think once she gets used to it won't be too bad. Yesterday was a disaster, my knees don't work either, lol.

24. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

When we were new to testing Frank, he jerked his head a few times and ended up with a lancet hanging from his ear. We laughed about it later, but at the time is was so serious. I was trying not to tear up. I was terrified we would end up tearing his ear. I still wonder if that has ever happened. If it goes through the ear, it isn't the end of the world, though. It takes practice and you get better. Has somebody mentioned cotton balls on the under side yet, to keep from sticking yourself? The powder puff sounds like a good idea.

25. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

26. Julie and Honey

Appreciate it. Know where it is, just can’t hit it, lol. Wiggle worm this one is once she figures out what I am up to. Hopefully it will get better. Bribed her with salmon yesterday, but today she would not fall for same trick twice. She is a smart girl and is on to mama’s tricks already.

27. Julie and Honey

Thanks.

Oh no! Poor Frank. I heard about the cotton, problem is I have to stick her in “mid air” with lancet device. if I grab her ear, she knows and starts struggling to get away. Then of course after I stick her she wants to leave, I have to go after her to get the blood before it is dripping on the cat, floor...not too bad bleeding seems to stop on it’s own if I put neosporin on before sticking her. Try to hold paper towel for a few seconds if she lets me. This is only the 2nd time I have stuck her, hopefully I will find an easier way. She is normally very laid back, even at the vet they always comment on how easy she is, taking blood, etc. she is a star patient there, maybe because she is a little nervous. At home she knows she can get away with more.

28. Tina and Boozle

Tina and Boozle Member

I know I keep saying this, but I have seen so many stories of kitties that were hard to get a sample from who have come around and actually come for testing. I am sure there are exceptions, but it seems to be the case more often than not. Animals are adept at sensing how you feel and the vet has probably done this a million times and doesn't think anything of it. Sounds like you are doing well, so far. I think it helps to have a mini celebration and praise yourself when you get a good stick, too. It doesn't matter if you have to stick then chase or stand on your head and sing amazing grace. You got it done!

29. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, they do sense our stress and anxiety. Maybe this has been mentioned but have you tried freeze dried chicken as a testing treat? Teasel is a very cooperative cat and an old hand at accepting the pokes but I still apply treats liberally before and after every poke, be it a BG test or insulin injection. I also do everything sitting on the bath mat on the floor in the bathroom with door closed. He has nowhere to go and I can set up all my supplies beside me on the floor.

What works for me (and I have mobility issues and very weak hands) is to sit Teasel between my raised knees facing away from me. The knees can act as a "wall" on either side of him if needed. I also roll a hand towel and put it around his neck like a cervical collar because he likes to flick his head away at the last second before an ear poke. All the restraining is very low key and gentle. I roll the ear over my index finger to flatten it before sticking him with the lancet. I put the lancet into its trigger device because that's easier for me to hold but I free hand the poke.

You'll figure out something that works for you. :)

30. Julie and Honey

I am looking for freeze dried treats online now, I am ordering strips at Amazon, so should find some there. Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.