Don't want to jinx things, but

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shelaghc, Mar 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

Anyone who'd like to peak at Jester's numbers and food intake and weigh in, please do.

Trying not to get prematurely excited about a trend.....

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Very nice blue PSs! :cool:

shelaghc likes this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Well, aren't those pretty!

shelaghc likes this.
  4. shelaghc

Seems like me getting a job has been good for Jester's BG......

Djamila likes this.
  5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Maybe he was picking up on your stress of unemployment. Congrats on the job.

Tina and Gracie (GA) and Djamila like this.
  6. shelaghc

More likely I'm not around to feed him all the time....
    *g*
    Although, tbh, he's still eating nearly the same total amount as he was before.
    I keep a record of his eating habits in the "remarks" cell, along with his overall total for the day.

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

He's looking good!

8. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

WOW ! Looking good! you have great notes BTW :)

shelaghc likes this.
  9. shelaghc

Just did a three hour fasting +4 and BG is 137.
    He's eating now. Should I check again at +6? I'm thinking if he's eating he should be okay.

10. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hopefully you've already drifted off to sleep. I think he'll be fine tonight. Rest well!

11. shelaghc

Actually I stayed up to do the +6 - he went down to 110.
    And, of course, I woke up a little late and broke his streak - AMPS was 210.
    We were almost an hour late so the higher number was understandable.

Djamila likes this.
  12. shelaghc

Me and my big mouth. I did jinx it.

Evening BG was 320.

:-<

13. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

That’s just one number though. Baby did that a few days into pre-remission. Crossing my fingers for you! Yep I think he likes you working! Lol

Djamila and shelaghc like this.
  14. shelaghc

And we're back down to AMPS of 174 today.
    This despite sleeping late again and not doing his test until after 7:30.

15. shelaghc

And +5 on 1.25U is 103. Last food was at least three hours ago.

He didn't finish his breakfast this morning so I'm letting him have that now. Not a *lot* left, but he's eating pretty enthusiastically.

Question - I'm trying to keep him on a similar eating schedule on the weekends as during the work week. How much might it screw things up to feed him more?
    I'm assuming lower carb pate would be better no matter what.

16. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

Is he overweight or not?

17. shelaghc

Jester's a long boy. He weighed about 12.5 pounds the summer before his dx and he was never really a fat kitty.

He was just under 11 pounds when he was diagnosed. We had a lot of issues after, including too much insulin for about two weeks, almost two weeks where he was barely eating while also honeymooning for about six weeks, and a UTI.

He went down to 9 pounds at his lowest back in December and I've been trying to get his weight up ever since. Last check he wss 9.4 pounds - about a month ago.

He won't eat the high calorie low carb prescription stuff so I'm left with possible overfeeding as the only alternative.
    And low carb pate can be a real chore to get him to eat.

Bottom line and short answer, no. He's far from overweight.

Magic Johnson likes this.
  18. Magic Johnson

Magic Johnson Member

You’re lucky... mine would eat all day if I let her. I myself would say breaking the meals up and adding extra might be really nice for him and you can get away with that!!! As he is not prone to being overweight like mine is. The usual applies with no feeding 2 hours or more before testing

I’m fairly new and would be interested in hearing what others say???

Rachel and shelaghc like this.
  19. shelaghc

Jester's usual go-to is Friskies shreds - a medium carb food. When I give him lower carb stuff, like pate, he won't eat as much and I have to go through contortions to persuade him to eat much. That's what I gave him so he wouldn't feel like I was depriving him, but I didn't have to worry about an excess of carbs in his system.

Probably didn't eat as much as 1/12th of a can total. (Yeah, I keep that close a track of things.)

When I did start pushing him to eat more back in December (the vet said Jester might never gain the weight back and I sort of made it a mission to prove him wrong), his BG started slowly going up too.

Now that I'm out of the house for about nine hours a day M-F and he doesn't get to eat as often, his BG is coming down.

20. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Baby would eat all day too. Scheduling a vet appt. soon because she’s still eating & drinking like she’s not on any insulin. Litter box of course matches, I think I buy more litter than anything. I guess it’s time for an increase...
    I’d say if Jester is a healthy weight then I’d be happy. If he’s a little skinny that’s better than my chubs over year! Lol Baby has always liked the shreds & filets in friskies too. I mix a small amt. with her pates & water on occasion, would that work for Jester. You’ve probably tried that.
    It’s bad when you need them to eat! I finally ordered the dr elseys chicken dry food as a treat, she likes the crunchy. Again not much at a time. Would he like crunchies? Baby hated the dried freeze dried chicken- 5 different types just sitting in my cabinet. Picky, geez

21. shelaghc

@Djamila @Kris & Teasel @Rachel
    What do you make of this? Jester's +10 was 182 (couldn't do a PMPS today) and he ate about 1/2 a can of shreds.
    Gave him 1.25U at about 7:30PM. He ate some but not much more (about 1/4 can).
    Usually he eats more about an hour after his dosage, but tonight he wasn't overly interested.
    In fact, he's been sleepy to a point that I was getting a little concerned. So I took another test at just short of +3.
    His BG shot up to 304.

Thoughts? I don't generally take +3 at night unless his PMPS is low and I'm monitoring.
    I was planning to take a +5, which seems like a good idea anyway even with the +3.

22. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm that is weird because at +3 usually the food spike would be gone. And since he got the insulin early, I'd think it would overlap more with the previous dose. It's weird, but I wouldn't get too hung up on it. Could be a weird night, could be some contraband he got into somehow, could be stress, could be "oh look a squirrel!" syndrome...in the end it's just one number. And it's not indicative of his normal nighttime numbers. He may just have been having an off night.

shelaghc likes this.
  23. shelaghc

Even at +5. he was just over 200. (Both were fasting, btw.)

And he was back down low enough this morning (AMPS was 142) that I didn't feel comfortable giving him even a full unit if I couldn't be there to monitor. I eyeballed .5U. The last time he was close to that BG and I gave him nothing at all, his BG was over 400 when I got home.

These are the times that I don't know, when I'm dosing, if Jester will eat enough before I leave to justify his regular amounts of insulin. Ultimately, he ate nearly the whole can of shreds right down to the wire when I had to leave or risk being late......

I think he knows how crazy this all makes me and he manipulates his BG on purpose.
    No contraband to be found. I don't feed any of my kids dry food and there was nothing else he could have eaten except carpet fibers (he's been known to...). As for the squirrel or heavy stress theories, he was snoozing when I took his +3 and barely paid attention when I did it. Another reason I was concerned he might be going low - until I saw the higher number, that is.

Magic Johnson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.