Dosage Advice - ASAP

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Dena, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Dena

Dena New Member

I just took Cosmos BG and it is 129. He is still on dry kibble. Trying to get BG practice in before switching to wet food.

Normally he gets 2 U of ProZinc, but I'm not sure he should. How much ProZinc should I give him once he's done eating?

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Are you still here??? I’d skip. Reasons in a second post coming soon.

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Okay reasons I suggested skipping:
    • You’re new to home testing. That means that you don’t have any data to give a baseline. Without any idea what he normally does it’s just safer to not give a shot so you don’t risk a hypo.
    • Even if a shot was fine, you’d need to carefully monitor. With this being your first time testing, it’s best to not NEED you to test multiple times. He might get testy and hide later since it’s new and that’ll stress you both.
    • You’re using AT meter. That means you have less wiggle room on a 129 than people with human meters (not saying a human meter would have allowed you to shoot...your number would simply have been lower so the same rules apply).
    So if you had a LOT more data and knew you could test anytime we MIGHT have said shoot. That’s a pretty low number and we’d need a lot of data that he wouldn’t drop too low to shoot.

Tonight he will probably be high due to no insulin. That’s FINE. We’ll help bring him back down safely. And remember better too high for a day than too low for a moment.

A question. What’s your normal shot time and what time zone are you in? I’m usually around early but didn’t know to check in! If we know when you might need us we can try to be around. :)

Djamila likes this.
  4. Dena

Dena New Member

Hi Rachel,

I'm still here. I ended up not giving him a shot. I remember reading "better to be high for a day than too low" and I also remember reading if under 220 best to usually skip the shot. So I skipped the shot. I put "NS" in his SS to denote no shot. Is that what people use?

Normal time I give him shots is around 6:30 am and 6:30 pm EST.

I must say he tolerated the BG a lot better than the shots. He was a good boy for me. And I have to admit testing for BG is a heck of a lot easier than giving those shots.

Normally after I give him his insulin shot he lays around and sleeps for a couple hours. Then he is up and active. This happens EVERY TIME after both AM and PM shots. This morning I didn't give him his shot and he is very active. I am really surprised and wondering how many times I've blindly given him his shot when he didn't need it. :(

Next testing and shot will be at 6:30 pm EST tonight.