Dosage Advice Please (Novolin n)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by EmmettsMom, May 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmmettsMom

EmmettsMom New Member

This morning Emmett had his lowest AMPS of 166 which tells me that he probably got pretty low last night. I gave him food around 10:30pm to help keep his BG elevated through the night, but hindsight is 20/20 and I wish I had gotten up at 1am to check him or at the very least checked him at 11 before bed. He was fed at 5:30am.

Usual shot time is 8:30, but I'm stalling and will test again at 9:30. Gave him more food. Assuming his BG is >250 at 9:30 I'm going to shoot, but I'm thinking I should back it off to 1 or 1.5U rather than the 2.25 I have been giving him. I'm trying to stay consistent with my dosage to see how he does for a few days but I'm not so comfortable with the 2.25 if his pre-shot number is so low. Is it commonplace for NPH users to adjust dosage as needed based on pre-shot numbers?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. EmmettsMom

EmmettsMom New Member

He jumped back up to 326 after stalling for an hour so I reduced to 2U and will monitor closely at +3 through +6.

3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I think that's a good plan. I'm not a Novalin person so I hesitate to offer specific advice here, but I looked at Emmett's spreadsheet and it seemed to me that he did well on 2U.

Even that might be a bit too much for him-- you don't have a lot of nighttime tests, but there was one night you got a test and he was at 107. A lot of kitties go lower at night, so the daytime numbers may not give the whole story.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. EmmettsMom

EmmettsMom New Member

I totally agree. Time to set some alarms :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.