? Dosage and food questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debbie in Arkansas, Nov 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debbie in Arkansas

Debbie in Arkansas Member

Luke's bg is 177 and it is time for his shot. He is almost always at least in the 300s by shot time. Should I skip it or just lower dosage? I had started feeding him deli turkey and roast beef because he was tired of his regular food Fancy Feast classic and kitten food also some Walmart brand kitten food....all of which is low carb. His numbers started going down and staying down longer. We ran out of deli meats so we went back to more canned food. His numbers went back up and didn't come down as far after shots. I got more turkey and roast beef last night so that is what he has eaten last night and today. Since his shot early this morning he has been in the 100s pretty much all day. Would the food be causing this change? I wasn't real sure how much of the deli meats he needs to be eating. Thanks!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I guess it is too late on the pm shot advice at this point, but normally, if you are new to this, the rule is not to shoot if they are under 200 (on people meter). As you get more data, you are better able to make the call on what to do, and you can begin to shoot at lower numbers.

Please do not feed just deli meat as Luke's only food. Deli meat does not have all of the nutrients he needs. It is great for a snack/supplement (as long as it does not have a lot of salt/additives), but he needs to be fed actual cat food unless you are going to prepare home-made cat food that contains all of the necessary nutrients. Carb content in food definitely impacts glucose. If you are seeing his foods impact his glucose too much, maybe you could go back to the cat food list and select some new ones to try. I know that Weruva and Tiki Cat have some really low ones.

JanetNJ likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'd lower your dose to 1... Your cat is very bouncy and going that low in the middle is causing a high preshot. Lowering the dose may help your preshots cone down. I don't see the 177 on your spreadsheet but I'd skip that one.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I agree with what was said above... Deli meats are OK for a snack but shouldn't be the main meal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.