Dosage Help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Booger's Mom, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Booger was high this morning preshot was 641. I think I know why now. He got in the cat naturals container lol. Sneaky boy. I have changed out contains so this wont be happening again. His preshot just now was only 276. I fed him a can of fancy feast for dinner. He normally gets 3 units but I am wondering if I should just give him 2. I know the guidelines I found on here say that if they are above 200 but below normal preshot value that a reduced dose might be wise.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I think a reduced dose is a good idea. If you can test tonight like you have been I am inclined to say 2.5... You still have a pretty good cushion.... If you can't test or your worried than go with 2.

3. JanetNJ

Lol at the yellow bar you just added

4. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Oh I will be checking him in about 2-3 hours after I give him his insulin. But can you explain this to me. You said if I CAN test tonight like I have been you would do 2.5 but if I cant to do 2. Did you mean 1.5?

[​IMG]

Bellasmom likes this.
  5. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

I did not want people to think he was really that much all over the place lol. Like you did before lol.

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I think Janet meant 2. We don't usually change doses in full unit increments so she was suggesting a drop to 2.5 u because he's high enough to support that. If you're worried she suggested 2 u. I like the yellow bar too. :D

7. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

I am just worried about him dropping too much but I think since he was closer to 300, I just went with 2.5 units. If he was like 250 or something, I probably would have done 2 units. I wish there was a chart or something for dosage changes lol but I know every kitty is different.

Kris & Teasel and JanetNJ like this.
  8. JanetNJ

Now that you see he didn't drop low I would stay with 3 at that level preshot.

9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Actually there are very specific dosing guidelines for Lantus if you were using that insulin. It's very expensive in the US but you might consider it down the line. It's worth taking a peek at how it works by going to that forum and reading the yellow info stickies over there.

10. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

You mean instead of doing the 2.5 when he is like 270, just stay with the 3 since he didnt get too low? Sorry, I have been up all night and I am kind of out of it right now lol

11. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Thanks. The vet never really gave me an option at Lantus. She was going to prescribe Lantus in the generic form glargine or whatever but when I called it in to my mom at her pharmacy, my moms said it would be like $200. My mom told me it would be cheaper just to get it from the vet possibly. But the vet never told me how much it would be. She just prescribed Vetsulin.

12. JanetNJ

Yes

13. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

@JanetNJ Booger had his first hypo episode today. It was intense... for me anyway.

14. JanetNJ

Wow glad you caught that. Ok so it's best to lower the dose then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.