Dosage increase not having much effect on levels?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amanda Whitehead, Oct 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda Whitehead

Amanda Whitehead Member

Hi all

I have gradually been increasing my cats insulin this past couple of weeks but I'm not really seeing much of a change in his levels with an increase. He is on 2 units now twice a day but was getting about the same levels on 1 unit a day.

I am doing a curve today to see what reading he gets and I have a SS for anyone who wants a look.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What was the ultrasound for?
    Has Oscar been eating the same amount all the time?
    I really do not know what is going on. You get about the same BGs with the different doses.
    I would talk to your vet about using another insulin like Lantus or Levemir. In your case I would not try ProZinc since that wokr the same way as your current Vetsulin

3. Amanda Whitehead

Amanda Whitehead Member

He had a ultrasound today because they thought he had 2 masses but we just got the results and seems that he is fine. He does have some nodules on his spleen so they took a biopsy to test for cancer.

Yes its so odd how his levels don't seem to change. He is eating different amounts each day because he's very hungry due to the diabetes. I might try to keep him to a certain amount of food to see what happens. I will see the vet soon about his levels and ask about changing to ProZinc.

Thanks

4. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

Hi Amanda,

I feel your frustration:bighug:
    When Josie was on Caninsulin interestingly she responded the same way to lower dosage as well as to higher ones, sometimes lower dose gave even better results.
    We just could not work out the best dose for her as her numbers were just so unpredictable and 'all over the place' most of the time.
    We just changed to ProZinc a week ago and I am curious to see whether Josie will respond to it better than Caninsulin as although similar acting but more gentle as especially designed for cats. Will let you know!

As for feeding we feed Josie little and often and that seem to be working very well for her as she loves her food bless her.

Glad to hear the ultrasound results were all clear, fingers crossed the biopsy results will come back with good news as well!

5. Amanda Whitehead

Amanda Whitehead Member

It's so frustrating. I would have thought his levels would be high today from all the stress of the ultrasound yesterday but they've gone down, its all so odd. I've asked the group if the sedative could have done this. Yes let me know about ProZinc as I'm thinking that will be our next step if things don't get better, a little bit more expensive but worth it if it works.

Looking at your chart seems Josie is in the pink zone a lot like Oscar is. Oscars normally in the pink or red but today first time in awhile we got a yellow :woot:

Monica & Josie likes this.
  6. Monica & Josie

Monica & Josie Member

Yay for yellow!!:smuggrin:

Also saw your post on FB about the all clear, you must be so relieved! I'm really pleased for you guys!

Yes will keep you posted about our ProZinc journey, mid cycle numbers are hardly going down for us at the moment, hopefully will see some changes soon..

7. Amanda Whitehead

Amanda Whitehead Member

Yes we are so relieved. It did show some issue with his spleen but the vet can't figure out what but at least no cancer signs for now. Yes keep me updated on ProZinc we aren't getting great results from Vetsulin :)

Monica & Josie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.