Dosage questions relating to a curve

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shelaghc, Nov 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

I had intended to finally do a curve for Jester, but over the last twenty-four hours have been changing his dosage based upon his AMPS and PMPS numbers.

Yesterday morning he was at about 150 and evening at about 160.
    Both times I reduced his regular dosage from 2U to 1U.

This morning he's at about 200 - kept it at 1U, but will increase this evening by .5if he keeps going up.

With these changes, should I postpone the curve?

EDIT: Someone on the main board just told me to stick with 1U for a while to see how he responds to that.
    Would you folks concur on that?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

The point of a curve is usually to see the impact a dose has and when within the cycle nadir occurs. Though Prozinc is an 'in-and-out' insulin, you really need to stay with a dose for several cycles to give their system a chance to adjust and to be able to really see the impact of the dose. So, I would personally not bother with a curve if there has been inconsistent dosing. Dosing for Prozinc is usually based on both pre-shot and mid-cycle results. You really have very little mid-cycle data and none since you changed to 1u. I saw in another one of your threads that you said you cannot get a mid-cycle test during the day due to work, but perhaps you could get a mid-cycle test in the evenings.

Since 1) you have been at 1u for three cycles already, 2) you have no data on the impact of a 1u dose, and 3) you are wanting to do your first curve, I would suggest staying at the 1u for now. I assume you are doing the curve on Saturday. By that point, you would have been at the 1u dose for three full days (6 cycles), so you would be in a good spot to do a valid curve at 1u on Saturday. Then, based on the curve, you will be able to see whether or not the dose needs to be adjusted moving forward.

shelaghc and Kris & Teasel like this.
  3. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes, as FurBabiesMama said, I would stick with the one unit, and definitely get a curve this weekend. Mid-cycle numbers are essential to knowing how to dose prozinc, so it will be great to see what's going on at that dose. Looking forward to seeing how it goes!

shelaghc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.