Dose advice help now! He did huge bounce

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jen+Crackerton Spunky(GA), May 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen+Crackerton Spunky(GA)

Jen+Crackerton Spunky(GA) Member

he is the highest he has been...tested twice one was 589 one was high. Don’t know what to give! Needs dose now

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Give the same dose tonight. As hard as it is, ignore those bounce-inflated numbers. They look scary but actually aren't that important. A long string of very high numbers over a longer time is much more concerning. Another thing: if you get a number that's completely out of sync with the others (too high or too low) that cycle repeat the test. You might have a wonky strip.

3. Jen+Crackerton Spunky(GA)

I did repeat it...why did he go so high? I need a sliding scale...obviously can’t dose .2 in the 100’s

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I wouldn't start a sliding scale yet. He hasn't been on ProZinc long enough to be anywhere close to being settled. The 0.2 u dose on a 169 AMPS didn't get him out of blue today so that tells you it's OK to give it on that magnitude of PS. If he's dropped to a lime green I'd say that was too large a dose for the PS. Last night he dropped from a red PMPS to a nice blue nadir. That drop might well have started a slow bounce that gave you the black this PMPS.

Rachel likes this.
  5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Jen! I've been out of town so haven't been able to comment on your thread before. I know a sliding scale seems like a good idea, but we've actually found that consistency tends to work best. Sliding scales are a super useful tool, but they work best when you know what your kitties reactions are like on a new insulin. I do think that what you're seeing is some slow bouncing from that blue last night...bouncing evens out best with consistency usually. If you increase on a red number like tonights, you might end up causing him to go way too low. Then that would cause even more bouncing.

I'm not saying you should never have a sliding scale. And trust me, I'll be the first to suggest it if it seems necessary. But I really would give it some time first on a consistent dose. Let's see if that evens things out some and then decide on a good sliding scale if needed.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. Jen+Crackerton Spunky(GA)

Was wondering if he hit greens when I didn’t test...wanted to give him a break. I don’t want to dose more than .2, I was thinking a lower dose when preshot was in 10o’s. I will hold as long as you guys don’t think he is going hypo. He was a little strange this afternoon..super whiney and lovey..but he ate nothing...which is HIGHLY unusual...
    I am leaving Friday...my husband is experienced but we had a high dose cat that we shot tid with a sliding scale most of the time. I would rather cracker running slightly too high while I am gone..I don’t think my husband will be able to track a hypo. He has to work from home and take care of high needs Dogs too. This is going to be very very difficult for him. I appreciate all your help.

7. Jen+Crackerton Spunky(GA)

He was 154 amps gave .2...hope he can handle it

Rachel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.