Dose advice needed

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Djamila, Mar 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Sam's PMPS is 157 or 162 (20 minutes later). He does not stall well, so I'd rather not wait too much longer. He just bit my civvie. :eek::rolleyes: Civvies are not meant to be dinner.

So do I feed, wait for the food spike, and then shoot? Shoot reduced? Skip (would rather not do that, but do want to keep him safe)?

Help, please!

2. Djamila

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey Djamila! One sec while I check your SS

Djamila likes this.
  4. Djamila

+40 minutes, he's at 177

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'd check BG again to make sure it isn't dropping. If it isn't, I think you can feed and shoot a reduced dose. Maybe 1 unit? That seemed to be okay when you shot it on a 170 a little while ago.

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

We cross posted. :smuggrin: In that case, yeah I'd feed and shoot. Maybe even a 1.5 if you feel ok with it and with monitoring tonight...

7. Djamila

Thanks, @Rachel! Ugh...tough call between 1u and 1.5u...he's had some good numbers at night and I'd love to keep up the momentum. I think I'll be brave and go with 1.5. If he drops too low and gets kibble he'll be super happy anyway!

8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep, since he rose to 177...which is SO DARN CLOSE to 200...I thought 1.5 would be fine. If you ever feel unsure, you can split the difference and try 1.25 or something. Either way, since you can monitor, it's good data and if nothing else...he gets some kibble and loves life! :p

Also, always feel free to tag us. I usually get home and start at the bottom and work up, but if I see a tag, I go there first!

9. Djamila

Okay, I chickened out a little and went skinny on the 1.5. I was worried that the 177 was because of the treats he got with the tests. Thank you so much for your help! I love seeing lower numbers...but it's so hard to know what to do with them. Especially since he starts crying for dinner about an hour before I feed him, so stalling is painful for both of us! By the time I fed him just now, he had bit the civvie, bit me, and knocked everything off of the counter. :rolleyes:

StephG likes this.
  10. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hahahaha those kitties love to tell us how they feel! And as you said, civvies are not meant to be dinner. Mine do it too...they like to remind me that it's dinner time and expect me to immediately feed them!

Yeah those lower numbers are fun. I think skinnying the dose is fine. Remember, we can give advice, but YOU hold the syringe and you have to be there to deal with it, so you must be comfortable with it. It's always hard to know what to do because you want to give enough insulin that it causes a nice smile curve but also not too much! As you get more data at the lower numbers it'll be easier to know what to do...which is why tonight's data will be great for when it happens again!

Djamila likes this.
  11. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Maury is the same way when I have to stall, no biting not lots of vocalization LOL!

Djamila likes this.
  12. Djamila

Oh yes. He goes into the entry way, faces the corner, and sings the song of his people at the top of his lungs. I actually had a neighbor knock on the door one time to see if he was okay (I live in a condo, so the walls and doors are close together).
    Sam was captured by animal control because someone shot him. My guess is he had spent one too many nights singing at the top of his lungs on someone's fence post.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  13. Djamila

Apparently we live in backwards-land today. His +3 is 290. :confused::arghh:

14. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

I'm sorry I missed your call for help! I was at work and can't figure out how to do anything forum-related on my phone. I'm glad Rachel was around to advise :)

Sometimes you'll get a hiccup like that +3 rise. I'd just chalk it up to data gathering and check again a little closer to nadir just to see. It might even be a bit of a bounce from the lovely blue PS.

Hermione is a chatty little thing too. In fact that's how she got her name - she's always talking, she's bossy, and she's got bad hair :p

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  15. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Well dang it Sam! Wrong way with the numbers! Ah well, as Kimi said it's all data gathering. I'm interested to see what kind of AM number you get today.

The song of his people! :joyful:

Djamila likes this.
  16. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Those yellows were maybe a bit of a bounce. Back to 2 u this AM? And as Rachel said, it's all data gathering. All data is good data. ;)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Djamila likes this.
  17. Djamila

Yes, back to 2u this morning, and a totally normal PS. I haven't been able to leave work yesterday or today, so I can't get mid-cycle numbers. I'm so curious how low he got yesterday during the day, and if that may have triggered the evening bounce. So far I haven't caught him anywhere near a day-time green. On a happy note, he took his shot this morning like a champ! He sat still on the first try, and didn't even try to bite me!

18. Djamila

So it's almost the weekend...which means time for curves and dose increase (hooray?). I haven't been able to get mid-cycle numbers the past two days, but I will be able to get a +5.5 today. Assuming his daytime cycles are still showing the same range I had earlier this week, I'm wondering if it's time for a 2.25u during the day? And should I also increase the evening dose? Or leave that at 2u since it's shown a couple of high greens?

19. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Start with 2.25 u during the day to see what happens. Don't forget about the clock change this weekend. You'll have to shift the dose time. I've done it in one go before or you could split it into two half hour increments beginning this PM.

20. Djamila

Thanks! I ended up shifting his dose time this week already to accommodate the weird work schedule the past two days. And as luck would have it, that change set us up to be on schedule for the clock change this weekend. I really wish we could just stop already with these silly clock changes! I don't mind the extra hour of sleep in the fall, but this whole spring-ahead thing is tough!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.