Dose Advice - Please?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by G & I, Mar 2, 2018.

  1. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    Another overnight low - steady increasing now - but due to lime green would it be considered appropriate to dropping dose to 3.25 (or even 3.00) for the day and 3.00 this evening? SS current and am injection due in the next 20 minutes or so. As always, appreciate the second (and third) pair of eyes.
     
  2. Rachel

    Rachel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    Hold on! Checking SS now....
     
    G & I likes this.
  3. Rachel

    Rachel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    Oh wow...that lime green was interesting! I'd definitely drop the dose, especially with that yellow preshot. You said injection is due in 20 min? I'd get another test beforehand, and I'd probably drop to at least 3. You can monitor today, right?
     
    G & I likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

    Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    I like the idea of 3.25 u for the day and 3 u at night for now.
     
    G & I likes this.
  5. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    So first my disclaimer: I tend to be more aggressive in my dosing advice - I think I'd go with 3.25 today if you'll be able to monitor. We've been wanting to get those AM numbers down, and the lower AMPS might let you do it today. And I think I'd stick with 3.25 at night as well.

    So this is where it gets difficult - when you have three different approaches. What this shows you is that as much as there are rules to dosing, a good portion of it is an art, and kind of going with your gut and what you know about Goma.
     
    G & I likes this.
  6. Rachel

    Rachel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    Oh yeah, he does run higher during the day usually, huh? I think the differing dose for day and nighttime sounds good in that case!
     
  7. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    I will be gone for a couple of hours. Cannot delay shot anymore and had to make sure she ate. So further test would be bias. But will do again anyway. Have pushed the shot time all the way to near midnight lately when dealing with other situation. Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.
     
  8. Rachel

    Rachel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    No worries about it then! I'd go with the 3.25 today and just get a test whenever you get home to see how it goes. :)
     
    G & I likes this.
  9. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    It is the higher day numbers that lead me to think of the higher (3.25) today and then lower over night. I am desperately trying to get the day numbers evening out. I need to go out right after the injection. But will be going to 3.25u.
     
    Kris & Teasel, Rachel and Djamila like this.
  10. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    The higher day numbers lead me to believe I need to try this route - higher dose in the am and lower at night. I'll try it for a day or so.
    Thanks for your assistance. As always I do appreciate it greatly.
     
    Djamila, Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  11. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    Reduced dose and still dropped low. I am thinking of sticking with the plan for another day or two. She’s trying to tell me something but I’ve not figured it out yet.
     
  12. Kris & Teasel

    Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    You could stick with those AM/PM doses for now. I take it you've been able to get her up fairly easily after the lime green? This is odd. The magnitude of the lime greens, dark greens, blues and yellows seems similar whether the PM dose os 4 u, 3 u or somewhere in between.
     
  13. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    I’ve managed to keep her moving up with regular food the last two mornings.

    I’ve tried leaving food out for the night but she eats it within minutes or an hour.

    EDIT: The skyrocketing amps gives me reason to believe I am headed in the wrong direction. I expected a bounce at some point however just not this dramatic. Also this is almost an hour late due to other appointment and I could not make it back in time. Once again, I am falling further and further behind and it is without a doubt impacting her ability to get regulated properly. I will need to relook at dose again tonight.
     
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  14. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    Well, either this new vial has a lot more kick to it, or Goma finally hit her ceiling and is working her way back down. Curious to see that 520 this morning though - hopefully she'll settle back down when the insulin kicks in.

    How is Dude doing?
     
  15. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    Hi @Djamila - Thanks for posting. I was editing at the same time your post came through. Not sure what is going on, but as I mentioned I am again an hour late in giving her insulin. I recognize this does not bode well for regulation and am doing what I can to mitigate all this, however other cat illnesses keep coming up.

    I was at the vet again this morning with Dude for follow up and CT results - Three possibilities - Brain Tumor - Hematoma - Abscess - Cannot be definitive without surgery which they state is not practical as it would involve scraping part of the brain. So we are now giving medications to relieve brain pressure, heart pressure, anti-seizure med, and cardiac med. We will not know if the current dose of anti-seizure meds is appropriate for another week or two as results have to be sent off island.

    Hope all is well with you and Sam and Atticus
     
  16. Djamila

    Djamila Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2015
    Ah! The dose being an hour late makes that black number make more sense. An hour before that was likely just a red number. And don't worry too much - at this point it won't have much of an impact on regulation or not since the dose isn't lasting 12 hours in her at this point anyway. That will be more of a factor when she gets into better numbers and you're fine tuning things.

    I'm so sorry to hear about Dude. None of those options sound good - although is the thought that the hematoma or abscess might heal on their own with some time? Sending healing vines his way!
     
    G & I likes this.
  17. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    Another sad part to me is I am told they do not have MRI available on island for pets. That would make things clearer. I feel for him and will continue to do whatever it takes for him to be comfortable. We’ll gratefully accept all healing vines. Remaining positive is going to be key.
     
    Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  18. Rachel

    Rachel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    Have you trued freezing food to leave out at night? That might help since Goma can't eat it until it thaws out...
     
    G & I likes this.
  19. Kris & Teasel

    Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2016
    I'm sorry Dude's issues are so worrying. Sending positive energy ...
     
    G & I likes this.
  20. G & I

    G & I Member

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2017
    It appears her numbers are moving in the wrong direction. I have decided to go back up to 3.50 during the day beginning just a few moments ago. She was making progress previously under that dose and the 3.25 just did not appear to work during the day. Will decide tonights dose later but will probably up that to 3.25.
     
    Rachel and Djamila like this.

Share This Page