Dose increase?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Mphair84, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

As some of you know, Tuffy tends to "struggle" after I get up to 2.25u. I feel like he has a pattern of letting me dose him on time, but then I have to either adjust his dose or stall to make it work the second day or so. He gets better numbers, but it's more complicated to be consistent. I get blues and lately I've been getting some greens. However, PS numbers tend to be higher at times.

I just recently had to decrease on his 2.25u dose, so I kept it there, but I would like to increase again. Basically, I was curious, yet again what other experienced diabetic pros would suggest.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Actually you have some decent cycles at 2 u although it has involved stalling quite often. I'm not sure what your notations of "7#" or "8#" mean. You have the option of trying a skinny 2 u to see if that gets him to decent numbers, can be given consistently and doesn't involve frequent stalls. Draw up your version of 2 u and let out a drop.

There's nothing sacred about 2.25 u. If you can't get him there and keep him there without a lot of contortions, it's too high. He's volatile in his responses and that makes it harder and gives rise to high PSs that can obscure how he's doing overall. If he feels good and you're seeing regular runs of low blues and dark greens he's doing well.

A lot of this comes down to how close to the edge you want him to run. If you want to have a lot more low blue and green then you'll have to do a lot of stalling, steering with food and BG testing. If you want to be able to relax a bit and keep a consistent dose without a lot of manipulation you might have to let him run a little bit higher. He might stabilize more in time but this is where he's at right now.

Later on you might want to try Lantus because it can sometimes calm a volatile cat better than ProZinc.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  3. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

It just marks the time I gave him the insulin. I had to stall more, so I would give him the dose at 7's number or 8's number. I believe the reason that I got blues and greens was because he was at a higher dose (2.25), but then I lowered it because I had to keep stalling.

With a 2 u dose he gets higher PS numbers, like in the reds and even blacks. Like today's numbers are most likely what I will see.

So would it be better to keep the high PS's or manipulate it more to get overall better numbers? I guess I'm not sure which is the better way to go until I make the switch. Waiting on my vet to get back to me...

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You have to decide how much intervention (frequent testing, steering with food) your daily schedule permits. That's what I was getting at in my post above.

Mphair84 likes this.
  5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It's a hard decision to make, but really it comes down to what works best for you. Tuffy seems to be doing fairly well, high preshots notwithstanding. It is possible that as he gets settled into a dose, he'll come down slowly but surely.

So basically, what works best for you? Are you going to be able/willing to test a lot, steer with food if necessary, and possibly have to stall a lot at shot time? If the answer is no, that is OKAY. If the answer is yes, that's fine too! It's really about what you can do while keeping your sanity (as much as possible at least!).

Kris & Teasel and Mphair84 like this.