Dose Reductions

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Justus, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Justus

Justus New Member

Deleted for privacy concerns

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Reason for edit: Clarity hopefully
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you didn't get a timely response. I agree with a "no shot" with that 115. You must be on the other side of the planet if it's AM of the 30th for you. :) If the NSs start to add up with the 4.75 u dose you might consider lowering a little to allow two "shootable" numbers per day.

Re token dose: so much is guesswork. Some people use a 50% dose, some a smaller % than that. A lot is trial and error but only on a day you can monitor afterward. It does look like glucose toxicity is breaking.

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh goodness! I'm so sorry...I didn't see this thread until just now.

I think a NS today is fine. That's pretty low preshot and you don't want it to go much lower unless it does so without insulin.

After reviewing your SS, I'm sure you're seeing some serious bouncing. You've got absolutely classic signs of it going on. Heres what Kris (who just posted!) wrote on it:

Here's an explanation of what we call "bouncing". It explains why a kitty's BG can go from low to sky high:
    1. BG goes low OR lower than usual OR drops too quickly.
    2. Kitty's body panics and thinks there's danger (OMG! My BG is too low!).
    3. Complex physiologic processes take glycogen stored in the liver (I think of it as "bounce fuel"), convert it to glucose and dump it into the bloodstream to counteract the perceived dangerously low BG.
    4. These processes go into overdrive in kitties who are bounce prone and keep the BG propped up varying lengths of time (AKA bouncing).
    5. Bounce prone kitty repeats this until his body learns that healthy low numbers are safe. Some kitties are slow learners.
    6. Too high a dose of insulin can keep them bouncing over and over until the " bounce fuel" runs out and they crash - ie., have a hypo episode. That's why we worry so much about kitties that have had too high a starting dose prescribed by the vet and the owner isn't home testing.
    So you get a low blue or green one day. Then the next day, you stay high and flat. Then it clears in a few cycles, and then you crash again. While those low numbers are beautiful and what you want, you don't want them at the beginning of a cycle! I think I'd be real tempted to lower to 4.5 and stick with that for at least 3 cycles to see if that helps. I know that seems counter intuitive with those blacks and reds, but it might actually help since hopefully you wouldn't have to skip shots which means the pancreas gets more support and can lower overall over time.

Please let us know if you have questions! We're mostly based in the US and Canada, so we might be off by answering, but we'll surely get back to you as soon as we can!

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, you could experiment with a token dose on a PS of 100 to 120. I would err on the side of caution by giving a very small fraction of the full dose and gradually increase that fraction as you gather data from these experiments. Each cat is different in the response to a token dose on a low PS. It's easier to be bold when kitty is moderate in response but more risky if kitty is volatile.

5. Justus

Justus New Member

Okay thank you.

Kris & Teasel likes this.