? Dose, tooth infection and acne

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by cataphraz, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cataphraz

cataphraz Member

Here's background on the situation:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...sing-high-uncontrollable-blood-sugars.192403/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-bounce-what-does-one-do.192610/#post-2151315

Also, when Mookie's glucose spiked over a month ago, acne had appeared on his chin at the same time for no reason - he doesn't drink out of plastic bowls, etc... The acne persisted and got worse over the past month. That said, it has cleared up a lot since I started the amoxicillin yesterday. I had read that acne is often associated with dental infection issues as the bacteria for both are the same. Hopefully, the clearing up of the acne will correlate with the clearing up of any dental infection. Even the acne itself, if not related to dental, could have upset his immune system and might have triggered the glucose spike. Hopefully, the antibiotics will help Mookie's system to reset. It's wait and see I guess ;)

Any insights or experience with similar situations is really appreciated!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I had a cat many years ago that had acne. I never used plastic either. We never figured out the cause. It’s an allergy to something but figuring out what is the problem. I hope for you it’s the tooth.

cataphraz likes this.
  3. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I think many cats eat and their chin drags across their food. You could try having a damp washcloth and giving the chin a wipe down after eating to see if that helps.

cataphraz likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, the topical human acne med, benzoyl peroxide, can help with kitty chin acne. That's the stuff in Stridex pads.

cataphraz likes this.
  5. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

Gordy has acne flair ups. His were mainly allergic reaction to a springtime plant in NH... never quite figured out what. He rubs his face on anything he can, so that doesn't help.

Now he sometimes gets them if he has been stressed.

The acne can also be the onset of a food allergy. Has he had a food change recently?

Hopefully the AB keeps helping. Sometimes its a good aid in healing. Gordy use to get the AB shot (now I am little leery on that... but he has tolerated them in the past, and a skin issue like this is what it works best for) and it would prevent new ones.

My best advice is to make sure his chin stays clean. I tried the Stridex pads too, but he didn't like it at all. If one of the "pimples" burst (so grossssss), make sure its gets cleaned as soon as you notice. When he'd have bad outbreaks, Gordy's would typically blow when no one was around, so id come home to this disgusting dried blood "fang" hanging from his chin. The infected hair was still hanging out, being held against his skin by the "scab". I always felt like a mean bean by taking it off and cleaning the wound, but my vet said I was doing right by him. Id follow it up with a little antibiotic ointment.

Hopefully Mookie's clears up with the dental :bighug:

cataphraz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.