Dose?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Peppersmom72, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

Pepper is a 277 and is ready for her pm shot. What should I give her for a dose or should I not shoot?

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

If you can get a test around +3 or +4 to make sure she's okay, I would stick with 2u. She'll likely go lower than you've seen before, but should be safe, and lower is the direction we want to go. :)

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I agree that if you can test try 2.... good luck! (if you can't test maybe go SLIGHTLY more conservative 1.5-1.75)

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hurray for a yellow PS! I agree with the advice that's been given - 2 u again or very slightly less if you can't test this evening.

Peppersmom72 likes this.
  5. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

Pepper is constipated....AGAIN! Not wanting to eat. I gave 1/8 tsp of Miralax last night. I'm hoping she poops soon.

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hoping for a nice poop soon!

7. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

:( No fun. Have you tried a little plain canned pumpkin? (no sugar or spices added - our kitties are sweet enough already!)

8. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

She won't eat it.

9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Have you tried psyllium husk mixed into her food. (NB: if you do try this use it very sparingly at first because, unlike pumpkin, it doesn't take much psyllium to really bulk up the stool.)

Mogs

10. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

Is Miralax bad to use? She seems to be responding to it. I give 1/8 tsp every other day in her food. What do you mean by "bulk up"? Before I started giving her the Miralax, her poop was rock hard and sometimes came out dry looking.

11. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Psyllium will absorb water itself and add volume to the stool. That can also soften the stool somewhat.

12. Critter Mom

Miralax is good stuff. It softens the stool without adding bulk. I'm not sure whether or not it can be given long term (ask your vet for advice about this).

I'm glad that it is helping Pepper and I hope she's now a lot more comfortable in herself. :)

Psyllium swells up when it absorbs water so while it typically makes stools softer it can also make them much bigger (bulkier), too.

Mogs

13. Peppersmom72

Peppersmom72 Member

I'm really not comfortable with asking my vet anything at this point. She'll want me to bring Pepper in and then want to do a fructose test and then some other tests, etc etc. I can't afford it right now.

14. Critter Mom

Maybe ask about giving Miralax long term in a thread on Feline Health? (Gets more visitors than the Prozinc forum.)

Mogs

Kris & Teasel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.