? Dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Smeags mom, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Smeags mom

Smeags mom New Member

2. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

Which protocol are you following? It's not clear from your spreadsheet why you decided to implement the various increases and decreases that you did. For example, on 3/16, you increased from 1.25 to 1.5, even though his nadirs were below 200. That would have been an indication to hold the 1.25 dose.

Please check out the stiickies at the top of the forum regarding TR (Tight Regulation) and SLGS (Start Low, Go Slow). Those give very specific guidelines for when to give increases or reductions, depending on which one you follow. It looks like you're able to test several times during the day, so TR may be ideal for you. In either case, please also read about hypoglycemia, and make sure you are prepared in case his numbers drop too low.

Also, please create a signature containing pertinent information about you and your cat; for examples, check out mine and those of other members. To change your signature, hover your mouse over your user name at the top right of the page and click on Signature.

You're doing a great job with testing and tracking everything on your spreadsheet; with a little tweaking and a better understanding of the protocols, you'll be able to get Smeagol humming along at the level that works best for him.

Smeags mom likes this.
  3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome to the FDMB! Love your avatar! Two cuties!

Regarding dose: You're doing a great job accumulating data! Generally speaking, I just think you haven't reach an optimum dose yet. Looks like Smeagols dose will have to be increased in order to pull his numbers down further.

There are several dosing methods available for Lantus use with cats. The two we've chosen to use on the FDMB are Start Low, Go Slow (SLGS) & Tight Regulation (TR). Check them out and see which one is a better fit for you. Let us know what you decide and we'll have a better idea of what to suggest tgoing forward.

Hope to see you posting often!

Smeags mom likes this.
  4. Smeags mom

Smeags mom New Member

I joined the support group on Facebook and asked for suggestions when to up smeagols dose as we are new fo this. I still feel new to it and quite often confused. Before he was diagnosed he was prescribed urinary SO dry food for 6 years then stopped eating completely. That’s when he was diagnosed. He has now been on fancy feast I add with water. I am just usually lost when it comes to changing his dose. I am a stay at home mom so I am always home with him.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  5. Smeags mom

Smeags mom New Member

Ok so I just read to increase .25 for 6 cycles if nadirs are over 200. That was really helpful I’m glad I found this group! This was just the information I have been looking for ❤️

6. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator