Dosing advice - AMPS is 129

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shelaghc, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

On 01 Apr you gave him 0.75 u on a 140. It was a weekend though. You could try 0.5 u or even 0.25 u. He’s been doing very well but it’s your call. It’s a work day so you have to do what you’re comfortable with.

3. shelaghc

The annoying thing is that tomorrow I don't go in until 11:00am and would have been able to do a +2 or 3.

But with all the unexpected green lately, I just don't want to risk it.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Then a no shot will give you peace of mind. You’ll get him back.

shelaghc likes this.
  5. shelaghc

And Jester's reinforcing my decision by being more pokey than usual about eating.

Not sure if I'll get enough into him to validate even the lower dosage.

And when I woke up this morning, he was crouching in the bathroom. Non-standard behavior.

Something's definitely up.

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Does he seem like he’s in pain? Could just be feeling a little off today. Happens to us all.

7. shelaghc

TBH I'm wondering if the lower BG feels confusing to him.

8. shelaghc

Before I left, I noted that Jester had eaten about better than 3/4 of his can of shreds - a little less than what he does when I give him his insulin in the AM.

I picked him up to give myself a little reassurance that he was okay and he cuddled and nuzzled me - just as he normally would do. Then, totally adorably to me, he started licking one of his paws to groom his face while I was still holding him. A little more nuzzling after that (I admit, I left a bit late because I do love it when he does that), then set him down on a comfy chair.

And I'm feeling totally okay with not dosing him this morning. I looked over his numbers for the past few weeks and two days ago he went "green" twice on his current 1U with higher BG (although that was also the day I was still having to push him to eat more because of the experimentation on Saturday).

If he goes a little higher tonight and tomorrow, I'm okay with that.

Just trying not to get too excited about this progress. I don't take disappointment very well lately.

9. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Remember that when they start to get better numbers, you tend to have stops and starts. Because we don't know what the reaction might be at lower numbers, often we have to skip or do lower doses...as you get more data at lower numbers, you're more able to handle them.

10. shelaghc

I'm getting that - wow!
    Just checked his +5 and - even non-fasting - he's at 77.
    I keep calm by reminding myself the numbers are actually higher than the readings because of the human meter and generic strips.

But I'm torn between giving him some carby foods to keep his numbers from getting lower and knowing that the lower numbers - as long as they don't get *too* low - aren't a bad thing.

I understand the standard with most vets is to keep the numbers from getting too low by keeping them basically moderate - upper yellows and pinks it would seem. I just don't think the risk of ketones is worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.