Dosing Advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Biskey, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Biskey

Biskey New Member

new to all of this Biskey come in at 57 should i skip her dose tonight she has been pretty consitant in the 400 and 300 as the ss shows except a few nights ago she was at 160 we gave her a half dose. for now not feeding but advice would be very helpful.

2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

What meter are you using? If using a pet meter I would absolutely feed at 57

3. Biskey

Biskey New Member

no using human meter relion prime.

4. Biskey

Biskey New Member

i will definitely feed in less than half an hour but i guessing i skip the dose at this point since she is so low it is too dangerous to give a shot?

5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Can you test again? That number seems really out of character with the rest of your numbers and I'm wondering if it was a bad test strip.

6. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

I would say no shot tonight @Kris & Teasel @Djamila
    I’d also test again before feeding to see if he is on his way up and a test an hour or 2 later

7. Biskey

Biskey New Member

i tested twice and then me and my boyfriend tested ours to make sure the meter wasnt bad her second test was 50 my was 80 bf 95

8. Djamila

Okay, in that case, skip tonight. Since it looks like that was accurate, I would say odds are Biskey had a hypo today. Is there any way to get some mid-cycle tests either during the day or before bed? Not tonight since you're skipping the dose, but tomorrow when you have given a shot? The PS numbers don't tell us how the dose is impacting Biskey since usually be the time the PS rolls around, the insulin has worn off.

The other possibility is that she's getting carbs. Is she being fed kibble or a food that is more than 10% carbs? Those can cause erratic numbers too.

9. Biskey

Biskey New Member

i finally have her on all fancy feast classics and she has finally got used to scheduled feeding and eatitng everything in 1 sitting 2 times a day. i will start trying some mid cycle tests this week thanks for the help i gave her food and will skip the shot tonight.

Djamila likes this.
  10. Djamila

Are you only feeding twice/day because your vet told you to? Or is there some other reason? Most of us either feed our cats several small meals throughout the day, or leave the food out for them to graze throughout the day. (and if you've already explained why and I'm just forgetting, please forgive my poor memory. :oops:)

11. Biskey

Biskey New Member

vet told me to do meal feeding during the shots. I cant do grazing because I have one cat that is on prescription food for bladder stones so he cant eat the same food as she does. she was on his food before the diagnosis and it was left out but the prescription food is too high in carbs.