Dosing Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Frankie619, Aug 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frankie619

Frankie619 New Member

Hello everyone! I switched Frankie to insulin twice a day (on Prozinc) about a month ago. This past weekend I tried switching him to new food (weruva BFF tuna & chicken 4EVA). I only gave him a quarter of the new can mixed with 3/4 can of his old food (prescription hills I/D wet food) and it did not go well. He threw up once a day for 3 days and had diarrhea. He had little appetite (full after 1/2 can) and was pretty lethargic. This is very odd for him since he does have pancreatitis but has never had a "flare up" before nor has he turned away food. Since Monday (the 3rd and last day of vomit) he has been acting normal, eating normal, but has really low BGs.

Has anyone else seen numbers dip like this after trying a new food? It seems odd that a week later he's still affected by 1/4 of a can of new food. I was also at the bottom of his insulin bottle, would that have an effect? Is it more concentrated towards the end of the bottle?

Any advice is welcome! I'm not sure when i should drop to 1 unit/ day or if i should stay at 2 units even though his numbers are low. Thanks!!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Many kitties have a GI upset when they're switched to a new food although you were doing it carefully. There might be some ingredient in the new food that doesn't agree with him. Is he still getting the new food?

Re low numbers: one thing that comes to mind is that ProZinc is a suspension and not a solution so it has to be gently mixed before using. Have you been doing that all along?

As you know we like to look at lots of data before giving specific advice. I recommend that you test AM and PM every day before his shot and try to get middle cycle numbers whenever you can. Right now, it's impossible to know what's happening.

3. Frankie619

Frankie619 New Member

He is not still getting the new food, only gave him the 1/4 can the one time. I do gently mix the insulin before filling the syringe every time as well. I am trying to take more AM / PM as well and hopefully I'll have a day when I can get more middle shots. Thanks for the reply!

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You do what you can and build the person skills and kitty tolerance level as you go. :);)

5. Case

Case Member

My cat had a few days of vomiting and diarrhea a little over a month ago and I found during that time her numbers ran lower than usual. I see on 8/21 Frankie threw up and later had a 65 at PMPS. Something similar happened with my cat when she threw up one day we hit a lime green mid cycle and haven't ever had one since. I'm thinking that could explain the lower numbers during that time but wouldn't still be affecting the numbers so long after. It could be the dose isn't quite right but like Kris said it's impossible to know. Btw, I'm at the bottom of my vial as well and haven't noticed any change in potency so personally I don't think that'd be it. I don't know if that helps at all, but wishing you both luck. :)

6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

You may have to practice drawing the doses in between 1 and 2: 1.25, 1.5, and 1.75U. The 2.0U is looking like it might be too much so you'll definitely want to get those PS tests :). Hope Frankie's tummy settles. I know when I switch Maury's dry food, I have to do it at a snails pace or it upsets his GI. Wet foods don't seem to impact him too much :cat:. Sensitive boys :smuggrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.