Dosing Advice Please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Adam Flowers, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

Last week Mogee had really abnormal AMPS' and PMPS' after I increased his dose from 3.25 units to 3.5 units.

I thought maybe he was sick or something was causing the mid-300 preshots but then I thought maybe he was just getting too much insulin. So I decided to reduce his dose back down to 3.25. He is currently sitting at 3 units.

I have heard on here that too much insulin could cause numbers to appear as if more insulin was needed when really less was. It appears to me that Mogee's PS's are better as I lower his dose.

But I am also concerned as he is not getting into the green as he was before.

That is mainly why I increased his dose to begin with, as he seemed to nadir near the 150 mark. He seems to have better PS's at the 3 units and gets down to about what he would with a dose of 3.25/3.5 at nadir.

Can someone please look through Mogee's spreadsheet and tell me if they think he needs less insulin or if he needs more to get lower at nadir and that those high PS's were just bounces?

Is 150 a good nadir? I was thinking I would want him more in the normal range, 50-120 (human meter). But as mentioned, more insulin has given these scary high PS's. I understand mid 300 may not be high for some, but based on Mogee's data for that length of time, it has been abnormal.

Appreciate any advice guys!

Attached Files:

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

In a situation like this I like to do a quick scan of the whole SS through squinted eyes to see if any significant pattern variation stands out. Your SS looks fairly uniform to me with the exception that you had more green (mostly dark but a dash of lime) in the 3.25 u to 3.5 u dose range. I suggest you go up to 3.25 u with a view to working back to 3.5 u if the numbers point that way.

3. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

Thank you for the advice @Kris & Teasel! I was working my way to the 3.5 to get to the lower nadir and then we had the week of high preshots. You don't believe there is any correlation and I should just work through those highs? I obviously would like to see him get back into the greens.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It's the nature of ProZinc to produce a smile shaped curve and if you have a bouncy or reactive kitty you'll see relatively high PSs at the same time as you get nicer nadirs. My guy was like that on ProZinc. He flattened out a little on Lantus and is now on Levemir and still bouncing. I switched because he didn't feel well on Lantus.

5. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

@Kris & Teasel that makes me feel a bit better about those high preshots. Thank you for taking the time to look over Mogee's stuff. We appreciate it!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi, stranger! It's good to see the pretty boy again. :cat:

Adam Flowers likes this.
  7. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

Yes, hope all is well!

8. Adam Flowers

Adam Flowers Member

Alright guys, I need your help again! Going back to my original post in March, I decided Mogee was just getting too much insulin. I currently have him at 2 units, twice a day, which is down from 3.5 He has given me he best PSs consistantly since the reduce in dose. He has not been over 300 since April 22nd. Prior to the reduction, his PSs were in the high 300s. He is giving me about the same numbers at nadir but is not getting in the green at all.

Is it possible he is still getting too much insulin? Or do we have it completely all wrong and he needs 4 units, twice a day. I'm lost. But these preshots are nice.

Please look at his spreadsheet and let me know what you think!

Any and all advice welcome! Please help guys! We appreciate it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.