Dosing advice/ syringe question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathy & MiddieMittens, Nov 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy & MiddieMittens

Kathy & MiddieMittens Member

Hello there guys i have lowered my kittys dose per my vet and her numbers seem a little high still does this mean shes getting to much insulin still and i need to lower agian or that she needs a higher dose? Not sure what to do at this point hopeing i can get her off insulin. Thanks we use prozinc and relion premier meter thanks.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

With that reading of 66 the other day mid day cycle, I'd reduce the dose to 0.75u and see how that works. You aren't doing much night testing and a lot of kitties go lower at night than during the day. I strongly encourage you to get a test at +2 every night and if that is not yet bedtime, another test before bed every night to get some clues as to what Mittens is doing during night cycles. Otherwise you are missing half the picture. Mittens may be going even lower than that 66 and what you are seeing in the way of higher numbers is some bouncing. Also get mid cycle tests on the day cycle whenever you can even if it's very early or very late in the cycle. All data is good data and can provide clues as to what's happening throughout the 24 hour period each day.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Reason for edit: fixed dose
  3. Kathy & MiddieMittens

Thats what im doing :( im testing her as much as i am able i will try my hardest to get night time readings but shes mostly outdoors so its very hard sometimes to get readings. But i can try keeping her in 2 hours after her shot then letting her out. If its not to cold out. Tonight im not home so i wont be able to test her agian. I am off during the week tues- thurs so i try to get as many readings as i can. I dont understand why sometimes shes testing 300 when the one day she was gone for 24 hours with no insulin she was under 200.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

She may have dropped lower and then bounced back up to higher numbers with the insulin which is normal until kitty gets regulated. Without insulin her BG wouldn't drop to normal levels and therefore there would be no bouncing to higher numbers.

I forgot that Mittens was an outdoor kitty and that does make things harder when it comes to testing but do what you can. It's in Mitten's best interest and yours too as you want to keep her safe. :D

5. Kathy & MiddieMittens

With her being an indoor kitty is really impossible for her she loves the outdoor life and i think bringing her inside would break her heart. And that is why we lowered her dose because it didnt make since that she didnt have insulin and her levels were so low and i was having great numbers until recently i havnt changed her food much. That is why i posted here because her levels have been so high im wondering if i shoild lower it agian my syringes dont have 1/2 markings on them tho so im concerned she wont get the same dose every time.

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

I see you increased the dose tonight. The dose needs to be reduced NOT increased. I mistyped in the prior post. The new dose would be 0.75u. Draw up a sample of what looks like 0.75u to you with coloured water in a used syringe and use that as a comparison to draw up the dose going forward. It may not be exactly 0.75u but it will be consistent and less than what she was getting. In the meantime, if you can get her to come in tonight even for a few minutes, I'd test her to make sure she isn't dropping too much. Looks like she is bouncing again probably from another low reading sometime today so please reduce the dose to 0.75u as of tomorrow AM.

7. Kathy & MiddieMittens

Will do that thank you i wont be home tonight as i have 2 jobs. I will reduse her in the morning. I got confused of the really high number thats why i gave her more. And i didnt see your message until it was to late. Tommrow night i will get a +2 reading and let you know. Thank you very much @MrWorfMen's Mom i appreciate all of your guys help. I really & truly mean it. You guys got me threw when i wanted to throw in the towel

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  8. MrWorfMen's Mom

Maybe leave some food out for Mittens to eat should she need it tonight if you can.

Just for future reference, don't react to one number at shot time. It's the numbers you get in the middle of the cycle (how low dose is dropping BG) that are critical and have to be taken into consideration along with the pre-shot to make dosing decisions.;)

Kathy & MiddieMittens likes this.
  9. Kathy & MiddieMittens

10. MrWorfMen's Mom

Sorry just seeing this now.

Yeah for blue numbers. Not to rain on the parade but that is one heck of a drop for 2 hours post shot and suggests Mittens might be having an active cycle tonight. I'm guessing that Mittens is outside hunting down a mouse or 2 but if you can get her in, it would be a really good idea to test her again tonight. That drop suggests she may be going even lower than blue and you really need to know just how low she's going on that dose to keep her safe. If you can get her in and want to let her back out, I'd suggest giving her some high carb food to slow down the drop in BG. ProZinc usually reaches peak action (lowest point in cycle) sometime between +4 and +7 post shot. If you can't get her in, at the very least, leave some high carb food out for her to get if she needs it.

I know Mittens isn't happy being kept indoors, but anytime you see a drop of more than 50 points in 2 hours, it would be much safer to keep her in, test again in an hour or so and feed her accordingly. You can let her back out once you know her BG is not dropping any more. You don't want her having a hypo episode while outside at night.

11. Kathy & MiddieMittens

She stayed in lastnight but i didnt see your message until this morning. I am going to try to do a curve tommrow during the day as im home. All day.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.