Dosing advice w/AMPS of 184 (renamed)

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shelaghc, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

I took Jester's PMPS technically early, although since he didn't get anything this morning I suppose his pm dosage could be at any time of my choosing.

So what say you all for Jester the fabulous blue BG wonder?
    No insulin for nearly 24 hours and medium carby food for breakfast.

1U now and test at +3 and +5 or 6?

Or a lower dosage with similar testing?

FYI - I will almost certainly be late with his dosage Wednesday evening but still intend his regular time in the morning - between 6:30 and 7:00am.

@Djamila @Kris & Teasel @Rachel

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'd try 1 u and a couple of evening tests. If he makes a habit of being too low to get a shot at one of the PSs then you can lower the dose a little to get two shootable PSs.

Rachel likes this.
  3. shelaghc

I've read this five times and I'm still not sure what you're telling me.....

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Basically, Kris is saying if Jester's preshot (either AM or PM) is consistently too low to shoot, you want to lower the dose you give. This way, hopefully the numbers will be more stable and you'll get preshots that are high enough to shoot for both AM and PM, which will allow Jester to have insulin in his system more consistently.

shelaghc and Kris & Teasel like this.
  5. shelaghc

Ah!
    Okay - got it!
    So if he's below 140 again tomorrow morning, tomorrow evening lower the dosage to something like .75, yes?

6. Kris & Teasel

You could try that.

shelaghc likes this.
  7. shelaghc

Do you think I should go lower?

8. Kris & Teasel

I think 0.5 u would be fine too if you'd feel more comfortable with that.

Magic Johnson and shelaghc like this.
  9. shelaghc

Considering I just took a non-fasting +3 and he was at 87, .5 might not be a bad idea no matter what tomorrow morning - unless, of course, his BG warrants none at all again.

Jester got some carbs (actually didn't eat much) right away so +5 won't exactly be fasting either.

Funny thing:
    I was on the phone with a friend who had had a sugar kitty, who passed away a few years ago, and told her Jester's BG. She wanted me to run for some karo syrup immediately.
    I reminded her I'm using a human meter, so that would basically add about five to ten points, and that my generic strips also register lower, so add on about another five so it's not quite as urgent as she might have thought.

Thing is, she only did home testing for her kitty's quarterly curves. Apparently his numbers were regularly fairly high despite being fed only very low carb foods.
    He did live between six and eight years with diabetes, so obviously they were doing something right.

10. shelaghc

AMPS was 142 and I don't have to leave until nearly 10:30 so I went with .5u.

I can check his BG at +3 but he's being *really * pokey about his morning meal.
    If this were a normal day, I'd have to leave him without finishing his food.

11. Kris & Teasel

Great progress!

12. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

That’s great! I’m glad you gave him something because you can keep an eye on things for a bit and that will give you excellent data to use on days you CAN’T stay home. :) All data is good data!

shelaghc likes this.
  13. shelaghc

+3 was 126, but that was with him nibbling all morning.
    I won't be home until close to 7:00pm so he's going to be one hungry kitty.
    Crossing my fingers on this one.

14. shelaghc

And Jester was indeed *very* hungry. PMPS was 184 and I gave him .5U for consistency. Planning for a fasting +4.

Today's 184 was interesting since he had no insulin at all yesterday and his PMPS was 181.

I'll be curious about his AMPS tomorrow too.

15. shelaghc

Looks like .5 might be a tad too low as Jester's fasting +4 last night was 169 and AMPS is 184.
    I'm keeping it at .5 for today and likely tomorrow since I can't monitor.

Thinking about .75 on the weekend if his numbers keep rising.

Opinions?

16. shelaghc

Bumping for more visibility.

17. Kris & Teasel

I like the idea of trying 0.75 u.

shelaghc likes this.
  18. shelaghc

And, of course, here's where it gets tricky.
    Jester's getting his PM dose about an hour early because I have to be someplace at 6:00PM.

His PMPS - which would have been a +11 - was 161.
    I should be home around 8:00PM. But I still think I'm going with .5U tonight.

If he's up again in the morning, I'll consider the.75.

19. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea. And since you'll be home at 8, you can grab a +2 and see how he's doing. That way, you have more data on your SS for what he does at certain doses and certain numbers! (Can you tell I like data ;) ).

shelaghc likes this.
  20. shelaghc

Good idea too!

Although I tend to prefer +3 - especially with the medium carb foods Jester likes.

I didn't get home until about 8:15 and, frankly, had no time for dinner before I left. So Jester can cool his furry heels until 9:00.

;->

21. shelaghc

o_O

Okay - where the heck did that 198 come from?!!!!
    I was a bit suspicious so I did a second test on his other ear - that one was 199....

On top of that, he was ravenous as though his BG was really low.

I guess I'm not getting to bed before midnight tonight. Doing a +6 to see if things get better.

:-(

22. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Looks like he basically surfed. I couldn't tell you why, but looks like he did the same thing last night. I think the increase Kris mentioned is a good plan to hopefully help bring him down a bit.

23. shelaghc

Yeah- he's back up over 200 again. First time in nearly a week.

Good thing is that it's not *way* over. So Jester got an eyeballed .75 this morning. I'd rather be home to monitor. But truly, he should be okay.

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  24. shelaghc

Evening update - his +11 was 181 back to about where he generally is at night. But his appetite was massive. Can't remember when he last inhaled his evening meal like that.
    .75U might just be good for now since he only gets that hungry when his BG has gone into lower numbers during the day.

So I'll keep it the same for tonight - he gets his insulin just a bit later on Friday evening so I can sleep in a tiny bit on Saturday and Sunday. (I sneak it by half hour increments back and forth from Friday PM to Monday AM.)

Planning on a non-fasting +3 and a fasting +5 tonight.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  25. shelaghc

So if this hadn't happened before, I'd be very worried.

Instead of down, Jestesr's BG went up on his +3 to 215. And, while he inhaled his dinner prior to his dosage, he now seems a bit out of sorts - asking for food, but not eating much of foods he likes.

I also found a little pile of thrown-up food, but no idea who it came from or when.

Either way, I think he might be feeling a little off right now.

Mind you, with a BG that high, I'll only give him pate.

UPDATE
    +5 was 172. Not fantastic, but getting better.

Time for bed.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  26. shelaghc

Jester's officially back in the blues after two readings of 215 at different times yesterday.

Twas just a tad disappointing as he hadn't had a yellow reading for almost a week.

Only worrisome thing is that he seems a bit off his feed, so to speak. It took around three hours to get him to eat most of his morning meal. Mind you, on a workday, he doesn't usually finish at all. I keep letting him eat (and fending Sage from his bowl) all during the morning as I get ready for work and there's always a portion left over.

But this morning, he refused anything from the first can I opened. I had to get a second can out - same variety of shreds, but this one has cheese in it - before he did more than just lick at the gravy.

Not sure if that was because of the change in weather - it went up to the mid-70s inside the apartment yesterday and stayed there all night.

Most of today he's been sitting outside the kitchen as though he wants me to feed him again. But when I gave him some pate, he licked at it a bit then walked away. So he's really not hungry.

Thinking seriously that it's time for a vet visit and blood test.

27. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I was just reading about nutritional yeast as a way to get kitties to eat when they're feeling finicky. I bought some for a couple dollars at the grocery store, but they also had some in a bulk bin at the Whole Foods, so you could even buy just a tiny bit and see if Jester likes it. Both of my kitties are fans. I haven't done much research on it yet, but the little bit I've read so far is that it's good for cats.

Also, can you send some of that sunshine this direction? It's getting to that time of the year when it feels like the rain will never stop....

28. shelaghc

I actually have nooch regularly around here. Thing is, Jester doesn't generally seem to like additives to his food. I've tried about everything that's been suggested and what always happens is I wind up having to give it to the other furkids or throw it away.

Just in case, I did try the nooch with about a teaspoon of the food he's been eating tonight and I got exactly the same results.

It's so frustrating because when Jester eats the really low carb stuff, he barely needs insulin at all. If any of the "toppings" worked, it would pretty much "fix" him.

We went through almost exactly the same thing today as yesterday with his foods. We have a vet appointment tomorrow after work to see if he can figure out what might be going on. (It's going to be a busy and stressful day - I have to go on a site visit with one of my co-workers to learn more about the job in the afternoon and in the evening I'm supposed to be hosting a get-together with some friends at a restaurant. If the news about Jester is bad, I'll show up to start things off and leave....)

Today, even starting out at AMPS of 176 and just .75U Jester wound up at +8 at just 111. Normally I don't feed him until evening, but I realized that his BG must have gone fairly low so I opened a can for him and gave him half.
    Then his PMPS was 171 but I thought it might be partially because of the food so I just decided not to dose him this evening and now he's already over 200 at +5.

::::sigh::::

I think I'm overthinking.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.