? Dosing advice w/PMPS BG at 135 -time sensitive

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shelaghc, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

Jester's due for insulin at about 8:30 or 9:00pm and his BG is at 135.

To dose or not to dose?
    Or to half dose?

Input would be very much appreciated.

Crossposting to main board too.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

How long is it until 8:30 in your time zone?

3. shelaghc

Five minutes ago.
    *g*

4. Djamila

Oops.:)

I think I would probably do 0.75u, but go with 0.5u if you feel safer with that or if you won't be able to get a test in tonight. If you can do a +3 (and another test or two if the +3 is heading low), then I'd go with the bigger option.

shelaghc likes this.
  5. shelaghc

I can do +3 at least.
    .5U it is.

Tyk!

6. shelaghc

Weird thing is he's been eating a fair amount of medium carb food today.
    I expected his BG to be at least in the upper 100s to low 200s.

7. Djamila

Carbs can make numbers unusually high or unusually low - they cause a bit of bouncing. So the carbs might be why you saw a green PS one day, and a pink PS on another day. And also, some cats are just bouncy no matter what you do. :smuggrin:

8. shelaghc

If I could just get him to eat the low carb stuff without it turning into a daily workout for me (pick up the bowl, put the bowl down, squat next to the bowl, lather, rinse, repeat for 45 minutes three or four times every day)...
    Even the medium carb stuff can turn into the same workout.

I've rearranged the food (medium carb because he walked out of the room completely with the low carb food) in his dish four or five times just since I started this reply.

9. Djamila

No judgement on the food - you have to feed what he'll eat :bighug: - I just meant to explain why the numbers might not always make sense. You are working mightily on that food transition! He might make it some day, but for now you just do what you can do, right?

10. shelaghc

tyk

I was just whinging about the whole thing. Before all this started to happen, he was a good eater - although he preferred to graze.

What compounds the problem is that Sage - my calico - will eat out from under Jester. She usually has to stay in the bathroom to give both Jester and Bastian any peace while they eat. But when Jester's feeding time stretches beyond forty-five minutes, I'll let her out.

And then I spend the rest of Jester's feeding time playing keep away with his bowl from her.

During the typing of this reply, I've stopped about five times just to stop her from eating Jester's food while he's slowly, slowly, slowly munching on what's there. She will literally scramble towards the bowl trying to get there before me if I'm now sitting right next to Jester.

He's been at it for over twenty minutes now.
    One carefully considered bite at a time, sometimes as much as a minute or three between bites.....

And I'm sure the ruckus between me and Sage isn't the most relaxing dinner entertainment for Jester. *g*

Djamila likes this.
  11. shelaghc

And he just finally decided he'd eaten enough.
    Took about forty minutes and he only ate about half a can.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.