? Dosing advice

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by CassAndGordy(GA), Nov 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

I am at a loss as to what Gordy should be getting at this point!

My vet insists 3U... so i tried to put the dose back up to 2.5U that I was giving him before this weird bounce pattern began. i thought his system finally cleared the bounce.

But I just did his PMPS and he is at 181 again!

He is probably getting too much food, but its consistent food amounts for both cycles???

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'd reduce a little after that 181. Can you eyeball 2.25 u?

3. CassAndGordy(GA)

Not really; my syringes don't have even a half mark, so I have been eyeballing my 2.5 =/

I tested him an hour or so later (he had of course eaten by then), but he waa at 422! I gave him a token dose of 1U since I am home to monitor tonight.

This is frustrating. I wish I felt comfortable doing the dose my vet wants. I am starting to think he doesn't know much regarding feline diabetes. (He, himself, is a diabetic, but I dont know if it's helping.)

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You can buy U40 syringes that have half unit marks. Another method to get fractional doses is to use U100 syringes and this conversion table:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm
    This way you can get 0.2, 0.4, 0.6 0.8 unit fractions.
    Many people have found that their vet isn't really up to speed on treating FD. My opinion is that 3 u is too high.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Can you do a curve this weekend to see what's going on with the cycle during the day? You can give at least 1 unit when hes at 180... It's still a higher than normal number esp on a human meter.

CassAndGordy(GA) likes this.
  6. CassAndGordy(GA)

Definitely can and will. I am home all day Sunday so I was planning on doing the AM cycle curve . hopefully it will yield some kind of answers.

I have noticed his nadir is mainly at +5... so we'll see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.