? Dosing Advice

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Frank's Mom, Mar 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Franks insulin was increased Thursday, although I didn't get him up to the full 2u till Friday night. He's still pretty high, but I'm not getting as many reds and no black numbers. I know the recommendation is to hold for 3 days..which we're coming up on. So 2 questions....what's a super low carb or no carb dry food I can give as snacks to test the 2u with, and if/when we increase insulin again, should I do .25 or .5? (Last increase my vet recommended was by 1 full U, and now looking through the board I see .25 or .5 s recommended increases. (I won't blind shoot, so no worries there.)

Rachel likes this.
  2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Slow and steady - recommended increases are .25u at a time. As you get more data, you can sometimes adjust every 3 cycles instead of every three days, but it's good to do that with guidance from people with more expertise than I have before going faster.

Frank's Mom likes this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Oh, and in answer to your other question, most people use young again zero for dry food/treats, or freeze dried chicken, salmon, liver, etc, or bonito flakes.

Frank's Mom likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I suggest 2 u for today with a dose increase tomorrow to 2.25 u if numbers permit.

Frank's Mom and Rachel like this.
  5. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I think numbers will allow it, although this morning we were soooo close to an AMPS under 300!

6. Kris & Teasel

You'll get there! :)

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Remember that old meter variance! Heck, with the 20% variance worked in...that could be a number like 290. ;)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  8. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I totally thought the same thing!!!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  9. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

These numbers....grrr. I didn't give him his PM shot tonight....my mom did...and she wasn't comfortable doing a BG, but with the high +10 and +11 numbers, I told her to go ahead and give 2U. Bouncing? Just not at all regulated? I don't know. He's at a decent number (for him) right now, and I am going to set an alarm tonight to try to get #s every few hours. I just want him regulated already. My OCD does not like this out of control feeling. Ugh!

StephG likes this.
  10. Kris & Teasel

It's time for a small dose increase. I suggest you start giving 2.25 u tomorrow AM. You'll have to eyeball that on the syringe. It's easier if you have half unit marks on them but if you don't, estimate 2.25 u and try to be as consistent as you can dose to dose.

Frank's Mom likes this.
  11. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

His AMPS numbers are....decent. Then his PMPS are just crazy high. I think I need to watch the amount that he's eating while slowly raising dosage. Hoping his +4 tonight looks good.

12. Kris & Teasel

It's not unusual for AMPS and PMPS to be different. Once you get to a dose that starts giving you some blues, it'll be easier to judge those differences as being significant or not. And don't forget that meter readings are allowed a 20% variance. In several cases those numbers are within that range.

Frank's Mom likes this.
  13. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

I need to remember this. And stop comparing my SS to everyone elses. You guys have all been at it much longer than me...I need to have "patience" tattooed on me as a reminder.

14. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Time for a pair of patience pants...they come in all colors!

I agree that slowly increasing should help. With luck, slow steady increases will get you into those lower numbers soon!

Frank's Mom likes this.
  15. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Unfortunately I won't be giving him is PM shot again tonight, so no BG test pre-shot, but looking at his past numbers I'm not really concerned that he'll go too low. Back to the vet on Thursday for our weekly check in. And on Saturday this week I'm really going to do my best to get that 12 hour curve.

16. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I would still get a PMPS to see where he is after today's cycle on the new dose. :)

17. Kris & Teasel

I assume you mean someone else is giving it and therefore no testing?

18. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Yes. My mom's not confidant on testing his BG, but is OK to give his shot.

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  19. Frank's Mom

Frank's Mom Member

Another question for you pros...can I pre-fill the syringes, esp when doing half and quarter doses, to make it easier for whoever is giving his shot?

20. Kris & Teasel

I think it's probably OK if the syringe is prepared and used hours, not days later. There are lubricants inside the syringe barrel that could affect the insulin if they're in contact too long. One thing you can do is draw up coloured water to the desired dose and leave it as a reference syringe for others to use.

StephG and Frank's Mom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.