Dosing Advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Frankie619, Aug 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frankie619

Frankie619 New Member

Hello everyone! I switched Frankie to insulin twice a day (on Prozinc) about a month ago. This past weekend I tried switching him to new food (weruva BFF tuna & chicken 4EVA). I only gave him a quarter of the new can mixed with 3/4 can of his old food (prescription hills I/D wet food) and it did not go well. He threw up once a day for 3 days and had diarrhea. He had little appetite (full after 1/2 can) and was pretty lethargic. This is very odd for him since he does have pancreatitis but has never had a "flare up" before nor has he turned away food. Since Monday (the 3rd and last day of vomit) he has been acting normal, eating normal, but has really low BGs.

Has anyone else seen numbers dip like this after trying a new food? It seems odd that a week later he's still affected by 1/4 of a can of new food. I was also at the bottom of his insulin bottle, would that have an effect? Is it more concentrated towards the end of the bottle?

Any advice is welcome! I'm not sure when i should drop to 1 unit/ day or if i should stay at 2 units even though his numbers are low. Thanks!!

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

My girlie kitty sometimes will have off days for eating. She is on Levemir. I find on those days that her glucose levels are lower...but that is simply because she is not eating as much. If Frankie was vomiting and off his food for a few days, the lack of normal food intake could be part of the reason for the lower numbers. With Prozinc you are much more able to adjust dosing based on preshot numbers and how well he is eating. If you are rolling the insulin properly the concentration should be consistent throughout the vial.

My thought would be to let the preshot and nadir "tell" you what dose will work best. You can also post this question in the Prozinc forum and see if you get some more feedback from there.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.