? Dosing advice?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pearl and Emily, Aug 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pearl and Emily

Pearl and Emily Member

We had a few nice blues yesterday and AMPS 258 is discouraging.

Is it time for our Lantus dose increase or should I gather more data? For a more experienced eye there may be a clear answer here, but I'm not sure. I'm off today so I'm able to test or monitor as much as needed.

**I have posted this to the Lantus board, but I am still not recieving any replies after 1+ hours.**

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This is taken from the Lantus TR Protocol Sticky:

General Guidelines:
    • Hold the initial starting dose for 5 - 7 days (10 - 14 consecutive cycles) unless the numbers tell you otherwise. Kitties experiencing high flat curves or prone to ketones may want to increase the starting dose after 3 days (6 consecutive cycles).
    • Each subsequent dose is held for a minimum of 3 days (6 consecutive cycles) unless kitty earns a reduction (See: Reducing the dose...).
    • Adjustments to dose are based on nadirs with only some consideration given to preshot numbers.

Increasing the dose:
    • Hold the dose for 3 - 5 days (6 - 10 consecutive cycles) if nadirs are less than 200 before increasing the dose by 0.25 unit.
      • if your cat is new to numbers under 200, it is recommended to hold the dose for at least 8-10 cycles before increasing.
      • when your cat starts to see nadirs under 100, hold the dose for at least 10 cycles before increasing.
    • After 3 days (6 consecutive cycles)... if nadirs are greater than 200, but less than 300 increase the dose by 0.25 unit.
    • After 3 days (6 consecutive cycles)... if nadirs are greater than 300 increase the dose by 0.5 unit.

3. Pearl and Emily

Pearl and Emily Member

Yes, got it. TR dose increase is based on nadirs. The point of my question was to ask for individualized advice as Pearl has not had consistent or reliable nadirs...200s during 1st cycle of the day and 300s and 100s during the 2nd cycle.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It's very early days for you and not at all unusual for responses to be erratic at this point. Today's numbers could be bouncing (rebounding) from the blues last night. I'd stick with 1 u a while longer to see if she settles over the next few days. Achieving any sort of regulation can take a very long time - many weeks or months.

Pearl and Emily likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.