Dosing advice

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by RRaptor, Sep 16, 2018.

1. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Olivia likes to do funny things when I'm paying too much attention. PMPS is 145, lower than its been all day. I know I need to shoot, so I'm stalling now. What should I shoot?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Brave - try 2 u and test at +2 to see where she's heading.
    Not so brave - try 1.5 u " "
    Really chicken - try 1 u

Rachel and RRaptor like this.
  3. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Up to 161 after stall. I'm going to try 2 I guess

4. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

188 +2

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  5. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

83 @+3

6. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

I'm worried about this cycle and going to sleep

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sorry we were all not here earlier! Looks like she stayed in safe numbers. Lovely greens!

RRaptor likes this.
  8. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Yes, nice greens! I wonder if it was that or if she maybe got a little too low when I was sleeping because quite the bounce @AMPS 410

9. Kris & Teasel

Lovely cycle last night. You might keep the 2 u dose today to see how she does. I like to focus on lows in a non-bounce cycle to judge a dose. Bounce-inflated PSs aren't reliable dosing guides.

10. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

I think that bounces can happen when the kitty’s little body *thinks* it’s gone too low, even if it truly wasn’t too low. I.e., if it was too low compared to what kitty is used to.

RRaptor and Kris & Teasel like this.
  11. Kris & Teasel

Here's something I wrote about bouncing a long time ago:

Here's an explanation of what we call "bouncing". It explains why a kitty's BG can go from low to sky high:
    1. BG goes low OR lower than usual OR drops too quickly.
    2. Kitty's body panics and thinks there's danger (OMG! My BG is too low!).
    3. Complex physiologic processes take glycogen stored in the liver (I think of it as "bounce fuel"), convert it to glucose and dump it into the bloodstream to counteract the perceived dangerously low BG.
    4. These processes go into overdrive in kitties who are bounce prone and keep the BG propped up varying lengths of time (AKA bouncing).
    5. Bounce prone kitty repeats this until his body learns that healthy low numbers are safe. Some kitties are slow learners.
    6. Too high a dose of insulin can keep them bouncing over and over until the " bounce fuel" runs out and they crash - ie., have a hypo episode. That's why we worry so much about kitties that have had too high a starting dose prescribed by the vet and the owner isn't home testing.

12. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Yes, she was in the greens a few cycles ago and didn't bounce, but did a few cycles before that. I shot 2u today to be safe since I'm not home before +10

13. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Pretty high PMPS, but I stuck with 2 for consistency and to see where it was going and Olivia is back in the blues at +4.

Rachel and Djamila like this.
  14. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

15. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Hi RRaptor. Just saw this out on the main forum. So glad to see she’s coming back up, and it seems like you handled it very well with gentle steering. Well done!

I know that the lime earns her a dose reduction though I hope one of The Three Gurus can help guide you with how much. She’ll likely be high for AMPS (though hopefully not too bad since you didn’t have to hyper-carb her back up), so a dose reduction will seem counterintuitive. Lemme do a little searching, and I’ll post back if I can find something that may be helpful to you.

Edit: I searched “reduction” + “lime,” and everything points to a reduction by 0.25u, but hopefully someone will confirm/correct that before you shoot tomorrow!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    RRaptor likes this.
  16. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Hopefully not too high, we're at almost 100 at +6 so I'm going to sleep. Don't stay up late on my account, I was hoping just to catch someone when they wake up, and certainly I appreciate you looking into things. Four cycles ago I shot a reduced 2 on a similar number and I think that was probably a good call.

Jenna Josie likes this.
  17. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Well ack!!! I definitely didn't see that one coming. I'm so glad you were testing and caught that low number..especially since it was fairly early in the cycle!

Reviewing your sheet, my suggestion is going to be dropping back to 2 probably. Yeah she is probably going to be high this morning, but remember that high isn't a real number. It's a bounce. Therefore, though it DOES seem counterintuitive, we usually do reduce after a lime green like that. GREAT job steering her with low carb food! That's the best way to do it if you can, since it keeps them from skyrocketing even further!

18. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Well, I'm the worst. It's 2.5 hours post usual t/f/s time and I'm just waking after staying up and multiple visual checks through the night. I'm sure everyone is hungry and ready for the day.

19. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

368 AMPS and in good spirits, even though I was late. I'll take it and shoot 2u

20. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Ohhh! Well it happens. I'm sure after last night, you were pretty exhausted. You may need to adjust your shot time some tonight to move your way back to your normal shot time. Shooting late this morning is one thing (and a pretty good number for a late preshot and a bounce!) but you don't want to shoot at +9.5...that's pretty early. :)

21. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Oh, of course. I usually adjust by the half hour. I'll adjust back 30-45 minutes each shot this weekend so we're in a good place Monday morning.

22. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

I'm at +11.5, hoping to get back to a good place to shoot before work tomorrow and we are at 163

23. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Stalled 30 minutes and up to 190. I need to sleep tonight so I chickened and shot 1.5.

24. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

As the queen of the chicken shot, I say welcome to the realm!

It’s all a big experiment, and you have to take care of you too, after all. Are you going to get a before bed test? I’ve recently found it very useful to look at what happened with past low PS reductions when trying to decide what to do with the next one(s).

RRaptor likes this.
  25. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Honestly, I thought about just shooting 1 so I could sleep and hopefully be able to move shot time back to the usual time. I'll get a before bed. I'm happy to see these blues, but I need to sleep, too!

26. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

I am wondering if she went low today. Yesterday she had a lovely “normal” curve, and if that happened today, too, she maybe got into the greens and was on her way back up, it’s just that it didn’t get so high since she was (possibly) at a lower than typical nadir.

If so, than maybe a bounce + a lower shot tonight will probably mean she’ll be just fine to shoot the normal dose at your usual AM shot time.

27. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

It was a nice curve yesterday and we started at a bounce, pink to yellow to blue. Hopefully today was yellow to blue to dark greens. I hope I won't regret shooting low, but you're right that it may help get back to regular shot time.

Jenna Josie likes this.
  28. Kris & Teasel

Sorry I wasn't able to respond. I was without power from Friday dinner time to late evening last night.

29. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

I hope all is well with you!

30. Kris & Teasel

Yes, back to normal now. :)

31. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

I'm not sure why Olivia has high PS right now. Sunday's cycle was great. My thoughts are that there are a handful of possibilities.

1) she hasn't cleared the late shots from the weekend.

2) she's eating just before I wake up, but I know yesterday there were 2 hours of fasting PMPS.

3) bouncing?

I can't imagine she needs a higher dose after the hypo and seeing how she's going low and coasting mid- cycle. Thoughts?

32. Kris & Teasel

I'd stay at 2 u for a bit longer because of those greens recently. Olivia is a bouncy girl and that makes it extra challenging to judge a dose because she can spend quite a bit of time in bounce-inflated numbers. My guy is an Olympic level bouncer too so I know how confusing it is. It's best to avoid too frequent dose changes in bouncers and they WILL surprise you with the odd low nadir cycle in among the multicoloured cycles. If you don't see any more green after another 4 cycles or so, maybe try 2.25 u. It's also true for bouncers that a dose that gave you a lime green in the past might not when you try it again (I'm referring to the evening of Sept. 21st).

RRaptor likes this.
  33. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Thanks Kris! Tonight's PMPS was a much more tolerable 257; I'm sure because I asked a question this morning. I'll stick it out with 2u for now.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  34. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

PMPS +4 tonight is 65. I think maybe a dose reduction is in order.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  35. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Looks like you did what we call a skinny dose this morning. That seems like a good call given the numbers last night.

RRaptor likes this.
  36. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Yes, I felt like a little less was best but didn't want to shoot too little. She seems really hungry this evening, so we'll see how things are PMPS.

Djamila likes this.
  37. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Tonight's +4 is 173, with likely pizza on board. Glad not to worry tonight, but disappointed numbers may be artificially inflated.

38. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Did he sneak a bit of pizza when no one was looking? :p Mine do that if I leave it on a low table in a room and walk away....

39. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Yes, our kitchen is rather closed off and a couple of pieces were left on the counter. I walked in to find them scattered with cheese and toppings missing as she walked out. Could have been the civvies, too.

40. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Lol...oh dear. Mine like potato chips and beer. :rolleyes:

RRaptor likes this.
  41. RRaptor

RRaptor Member

Oh, she also really wants potato chips, but those are usually more well hidden.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018