Dosing and numbers questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SuziB, Mar 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuziB

SuziB Member

Hi all!

It’s been a bit since I posted, probably because Reece and I have settled into a comfortable routine and things seem to be going ok for her. Her digestive issues are nonexistent now (have stopped meds for digestion except daily probiotics), she’s put on a nice amount of weight (feels nice and padded and sleek as opposed to bony and sharp), doesn’t guzzle water any more, plays like a kitten again and is much happier and friendlier all around. Yay!! My vet is very happy with her progress and looooooves the spreadsheet! She can’t believe I can test BG at all, let alone at least twice a day :)

All of the above is thanks to you and your invaluable information, patience and kind words. Reece and I have come so far since her diagnosis!

My questions are these:

Is there any rhyme or reason to why numbers vary so widely? If you check out our ss, you can see that AMPS are usually over 200, while PMPS are all in the mid-100s. She eats the same amount and type of food at the same times every day. Why the variation between AM and PM? For awhile, all her numbers were under 200 (AM & PM) but now AM is back over 200. Why would this happen?

What PS number should I NOT shoot at? She is receiving .6 unit of Vetsulin 2xday. I now see (probably saw earlier, but forgot or ??) that newbies shouldn’t shoot under 200, but what is the cutoff for someone not so new? Should I not shoot at 130? 120?

What is my ideal number? My vet said she is happy when cats are under 200, but I’m not sure if that’s 200 on her meter or how my meter (RelionPrime) compares to the meter at the vets. Thoughts?

Thanks again for all the help and info you have passed on. That first month or so was very stressful and overwhelming. Things are so much easier now, thanks to you! :)

Suzi & Reece

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

This is most likely due to something called "Dawn Phenomenon"....the AM reading is always the hardest to get down

One big thing you need to start doing is getting tests in between the shots. We need to know how low she is going to keep her safe.

I'd keep her on the .6 for now and start getting a few more tests in, especially on the PM cycle. Most cats do go lower at night so it's important to get at least a "before bed" test in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.