Dosing Cerenia

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mau's Mom, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mau's Mom

Mau's Mom Member

I mentioned this on my other post (about the vet bill I got today) but since this is kind of a separate issue I thought I would post it on a new thread.

My cat got a shot of Cerenia around 1:30 this afternoon and was doing well until the last half hour or so. He ate fine around 2-3pm. Did not want dinner so I syringe fed him a bit. He's now acting pretty nauseous and has spit up a bit of the food I syringe fed him... he is still bright but acting uncomfortable. I do have a shot of Cerenia that the vet gave me to give him tomorrow... can I give it early (tonight) to try to get ahead of the nausea? I hate for him to feel bad all night.

History:

I got home from a trip the night before last and my cat seemed fine. The next morning (yesterday) he had lost his appetite, was acting nauseous, and just kind of lethargic so I took him to the vet. Vet did the normal exam, ran bloodwork (which came back OK except for a slightly elevated white count) and put him on IV fluids, antibiotic, anti nausea, and pain meds. He was kept overnight in the vet clinic (regular vet office, not 24/7 emergency clinic) where he did well. He ate on his own last night, was much brighter today, and remains well hydrated.

The vet wanted to keep him overnight but the bill for the first day was $1600+ and I just could not afford to keep him there any longer. I also wanted to keep an eye on him as the vet clinic closes at 2pm on Sat, and is closed all day Sunday so he would only have been seen for brief periods AM and PM when they come to feed/clean cages.

Any other ideas to help with nausea if giving the shot is not a good plan? Thanks for any help.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Cerenia is dosed once every 24 hours. I wouldn't give another dose. If you had the pills it might be different as they aren't absorbed as well. Do you have any ondnasetron? It can be given even though you already gave cerenia. I would ask your vet for a prescription for it. It's a human drug and many cats do better with it while others with cerenia and some need both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.