? Dosing help for Chewy

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by ash&chewy, Dec 29, 2018.

1. ash&chewy

ash&chewy New Member

Hi all - Our vet is closed for the day and I would like some advice on how to dose Chewy this evening.

We picked him up from his pet sitters yesterday afternoon - he spent 10 days there and they were only able to give him his insulin once a day. I don't have any times or readings. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

He got his normal .85u yesterday evening and tested low this morning at 111, so we skipped his shot. He stayed relatively low all day (was at 129 after eating this morning). This evening at his normal PMPS time, he tested 94 first and we immediately re-tested at 114 since his numbers are so good my husband thinks our meter is broken.

I don't really like the idea of skipping 2 shots in a row when he's been so inconsistent for the last week. Do you think it would be ok to give him a .5u dose? Or is it better to skip again if he doesn't go up further in the next hour? Our no-shoot number when starting out was 150, but I'm thinking it could be time to reduce that.

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hello Ashley and Chewy!

Have you fed him yet? If you haven't, I'd go ahead and retest and see if he's come up some. If he's coming up, I'd probably give him a shot IF you can monitor to be sure he's good and are ready to steer if he happens to go too low.

You could test the meter on yourself to be sure it's working. My guess is it is...and that Chewy is just staying low right now.

I know you said you don't have any numbers or times from the past week, but do you have any idea of generally where he was? Or what no shot number the vet was working off of?

3. ash&chewy

ash&chewy New Member

He was all over the place last week - I have numbers on my meter between 130 and 420 but I have no idea where those readings are in relation to his shots, and there’s only 1-2 readings each day. He was really stressed out most of the time and wouldn’t let anyone near him the first few days.

4. ash&chewy

ash&chewy New Member

He tested again at 120 so we went with a fat .25u and will watch him closely this evening.

Rachel likes this.