? Dosing help plz

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Mister's Owner, Oct 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

Ok, so I'm not sure if anyone can suggest or help or not.
    Can someone please check misters chart?
    I had major surgery on Sept 22nd and my daughter has been doing insulin in between helping with everything else and chasing her 17 month old...
    Anyways she always ask for how much insulin to give after checking bg and mister seems to be on this roller coaster of consistent low numbers that aren't safe for insulin.
    Last night he was 116bg 30 min after insulin was due.
    I'm just not sure where to go from here.
    Thanks,
    Tina

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm not confident giving specific dosing advice but 116 is definitely too low to give insulin. Your SS shows that the shot was skipped the last 4 evenings and that was wise. His AM number is generally yellow and you've been giving him his shot on a safe number. It's impossible to say what's happening mid cycle but what you're doing right now AM and PM seems to be working. Your boy might be thinking of needing much less - or no - insulin.

@Sue and Oliver (GA) would be better able to advise you.

Mister's Owner likes this.
  3. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

Thank you,
    I was wondering if it's possible his body isn't needing it twice a day? But I've never heard of cat on Prozinc only needing 1 dose

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, twice a day is the norm. Sometimes people have a different dosing routine when the cat is nearing remission. I can't really advise you about that.

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

He is looking great! My usual advice, when you get one shootable pre shot and one unshootable one, is to lower the dose, in hopes of being in shootable ranges twice daily. Can you eyeball 0.25? If not, you might try a 0.5 minus a couple drops (pull up 0.5 and let out a few drops.). Your other choice would be to buy a few U100s and use the conversion chart. With them, you can shoot 0.2 and even 0.1

At this stage, the trick is to keep in as low of ranges as you can. (That's why 2 doses are better than one). You can shoot at lower ranges (like 150-180) with a tiny dose like 0.1. The first time you try this be sure you can monitor the whole cycle. Look at our new sticky: Advanced Options. It has a section on micro dosing and chasing the number (possibly a choice later on)

6. Mister's Owner

Mister's Owner Member

We couldn't shoot again tonight ...
    And I don't even think I could of did a micro mini shot like you're telling me about his bg was 97! ?

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow! Nope I would never shoot anything at that number!

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Great! Maybe he will quietly come down on his own, cycle by cycle (anti jinx)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.