Dosing/ help to get back on schedule (shot due 2.5 hours)

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Smokey and Jessica, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey and Jessica

Smokey and Jessica Member

I had my first big mess up a few nights ago. Usually I test, feed, shoot, log everything. This night I tested, fed, logged everything, then realized I never gave him a shot. Retested, gave the shot late. I’ve been trying to move it back by doing the am shot early, pm at 12, but it’s not working or it’s too much insulin again. Last night I stalled and retested in an hour but it hadn’t changed. 20 min later only up by 2 so I lowered the dose, and then moved only 30 min early this morning. It looks like he bounced high yesterday morning, and I’m preparing for a high number tonight. He was already to 231 at +8 from low of 89.
    So my plan I think is 30min early tonight, one more 30 min early in the morning should get me completely back on schedule. But I don’t know if I should use that lower .5 dose for these last two early shots? He’s going to be a little high tonight I think, but .75 might make him too low to shoot 30min early in the morning and I have to be somewhere so it has to be early. And then should I stick with the .5 for another day or so or should I go right back to the .75? I feel so horrible about this. I thought I had it under control and a good plan but now I’m second guessing it. I knew he needed something the night I was late but maybe I should’ve just skipped.
    Any advice would be great! I feel like I’m stuck now and probably just explained it in the most complicated way possible!
    Time is 1930 jst
    Pmps and shot due in 2.5 hours. (12hours from am shot)

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

89 isn't a bad number at all, even on the AT meter. It's actually a beautiful nadir. He might be high tonight, but I think I'd stick with the 0.75 if he isn't too low. Sure you might see some bouncing, but that's okay. It's just something we have to deal with sometimes unfortunately. 30 min early shouldn't make too much difference (easy for me to say I know). I really do think that 0.75 will be fine because if you look at what happened today, it was actually fine...he went to a lovely nadir, didn't go too low, and while you might be seeing some bouncing, it does mean he'll likely be high enough to shoot tonight.

Please don't feel horrible! Let me tell you about the time I got up, tested, fed, pulled the insulin up in the syringe...THEN WENT TO WORK! Totally forgot to give the shot. TWICE!!!! Came home and the syringe was on the table where I left it. I was so mad at myself!

3. Smokey and Jessica

Thank you for the reassurance!
    He has had some pretty good numbers, and I’ve read that prozinc is fairly forgiving with shot times, so I really thought just a few mornings early I could balance out the times. What has me worried though is the low last night that didn’t move for over an hour that’s what’s making me second guess the dose. He won’t be alone tomorrow which is good, but my husband won’t test. He can watch him closely and give him food all day, but there won’t be any tests until I get home. I think I will go with normal .75 and worst case, consider .5 for just the morning. The one day I have somewhere to be! I had hoped to get him back to normal times before then not still shooting a little early. Any other day I’m home with him and the kids.

4. Smokey and Jessica

Of course it has to get more complicated! Pmps went down slightly to 224, but he hasn’t eaten for about 5-6 hours. Tried to retest but didn’t get enough blood and really think even 224 is safe to shoot. I’m leaving out extra food tonight just in case. I did that last night too and there was still a little bit left this morning. Big change from him attacking my whenever I got near the kitchen and literally biting the bowl after eating everything in it!

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Just for future reference: if something happens to put your shot far off schedule you have the option of skipping it entirely as you mentioned above. Think of it as a fur shot. It generally takes very little time to get them back on track and doesn't ruin all the progress you've made. I've also done it on rare occasions when I was going out for dinner and knew that moving the shot time would create a big headache.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.