dosing help!!!!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jodi & Jasmine, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jodi & Jasmine

Jodi & Jasmine Member

I am very confused and concerned about Jasmine's numbers. I can not update or edit her ss and don't know why. So I will post her recent readings here.

Sunday:
    5 am - 118.8
    no insulin
    11 am - 288
    5 pm - 1 unit insulin
    10 pm - 63

Monday:
    5 am - 106.2
    0.25 units lantus (down from 1 unit)
    8 am - 262.8
    5 pm - 99
    0.25 units lantus

Today:
    5 am - 109.8
    0.25 units lantus
    8 am - 142.2
    12 pm - 70.2

2. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Re: so confused

Hi Jodi,

not sure if your using the original template?
    Post your difficulty in tech forum, someone will know what the problem is (sorry, I'm not very good with the techy stuff)

Ok, looking at ss-you have a kitty that is sensitive to insulin.m Verra good :D

You've been doing some dose hopping. Doesn't work well with this insulin. Good call on your part as you don't have the data to give you an idea of where she is headed.

Stick with .25u
    Get the following tests if you can

+1
    +2
    +4
    +5 (if your getting low numbers like under 80)
    +6 (defoinitely get as usually nadir-lowest number in the cycle and the number you base your dosing decisions on)
    +11 if you think your going to need advice from the board, otherwise this only gives you a guide that kitty is on a rising number.

If Jasmine drops under 50 at any point inthe cycle before +7 (erring on the side of caution) you need to HC and keep testing till you have a rising number (post on board if you can)
    If you suddenly got a 50 at +11, you would just monitor, not need HC as insulin 'petering out' (though anpother challenge at your next shot possibly. Dobn't worry about that right now)
    You must try and get the +6, that will show you how low she is going. This kitty is going down at a rate of knots-way tooo gooo :mrgreen:

Don't be scared. As long as you can test and have HC, your in control.
    Ask if you have any more q's.

3. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

First let's start with the SS. I think the problem may be that you are not logged into your Google account when you view the spreadsheet. if you are not logged into your account, you can view but cannot edit. So look on the page for the log in box.

Next I'm glad to see you are getting some checks in between the shots. I also think it was a good idea to reduce the dose (perhaps it was a little to much decrease) I think .5U might be a good dose but you still need more time at a steady dose and more tests. Overall I think it looks pretty good. You are getting some nice "normal" numbers in the 50-100 range in the middle of the cycle, this looks like a very nice curve to me, what is bothering you about these numbers?

Take a look at the "sticky" abouve New to Lantus-there is an example of what a typical cycle would look like if you tested every hour. Your Preshots will be a little higher and the nadir (low point at around +6 to +10) the numbers +1 and +2 are sometimes higher than the Preshot because your overlap from the last shot is waining and the new shot hasn't started working yet. In addition the cat has usually eaten after getting the shot so the food is raising the BG during that time. In all I would say Jasmine is looking pretty good. You may want to keep trying that dose (.25U) for a few more days and things may level out even more.

4. Jodi & Jasmine

Jodi & Jasmine Member

Thanks guys. I was able to update my SS. What concerns me with Jasmine is how much insulin to give her and I am concerned of the low low readings (ie. 70.2 at +7) Also I am not used to getting a low pre shot reading/insulin overlaps and just worry about giving her insulin. That is why I dropped her dose to 0.25 units to play it safe.

5. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

She is doing pretty nicely for a cat that's a newbie, and on just 0.25U!
    Please post dosing help in your heading later, so one of our dosing helpers can assist you...
    A dose takes 3 days (6 cycles) to kick into the cat's system, so let's see what happens..Right now, she seems to be doing pretty well.
    You are doing a good job with her, bg testing & shooting..let's see what other answers you get!

6. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Don't worry Jodi, your doing fine.

Caninsulin and Lantus/Lev are very different insulins with different actions.

Your moving pretty quick so know it can be scary, but really as I said before your doing great.
    You did the right thing erring on the side of caution. It's okfor us to give you advice, but we can't see Jasmine and don't know her like you do. You need to be comfortable with what your doing. That's why I'm a big advocate of reading and learning as much as you can. Knowledge = power. :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.