Dosing Help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by beene5052, Sep 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beene5052

beene5052 Member

cole BG was 198 at AmPS. Should I hold off the shot?
    Under 20o no shot right?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You're just at the no shot margin. You can either skip it or if you want to collect data, try 1 unit and plan to test at +2 to see where he's going. If you're home to monitor I'd go with that reduced dose. This is how we learn about their responses and how to deal with BG numbers that are good numbers but lower than we're used to. Experimentation is what it's all about ... :);)

3. Kris & Teasel

You can also try the stall without feeding for 20 minutes and retest technique. He might be over 200 by then. I'd still lower the dose to 1 unit though.

4. beene5052

beene5052 Member

okay. He is acting really out of it already but I will shoot and test.

5. beene5052

beene5052 Member

I know nothing but my instincts tell me after watching him all day yesterday - being his old self at around 30o BG numbers that he is going to be a cat who is in the higher range? Does that make sense? He is still eating if we put the food in front of him. Then we will test again.

6. Kris & Teasel

Actually they feel better in higher numbers at the start because that's what their body has become accustomed to. Tracking BG on the spreadsheet is how you monitor their progress on insulin and learn to correlate their clinical signs with their numbers. He might have gone quite low last night and that could have knocked the stuffing out of him. A +2 test after the PM dose can be a useful predictor. Many cats run lower at night.

This regulation thing doesn't happen overnight. As we always say here, it's a marathon and not a sprint. :)

7. beene5052

beene5052 Member

Okay. Tested at 9:15am Cole at 265BG. We gave him 1 unit. Will test at +2.

8. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Like Kris said, they tend to get used to higher numbers so when they get lower than their body is used to they can feel icky/off. As they spend more time getting those lower numbers, still higher than a non-diabetic, their body will adjust. We can't rush the process, but he will get used to them :cat:

9. beene5052

beene5052 Member

Thank you Yong!

10. beene5052

beene5052 Member

Tested Cole at +2. Reading 291BG. Question. Because of his "bounce" yesterday morning - he is still bouncing right? How true are these numbers?

11. beene5052

beene5052 Member

Sorry Chris did not get testing after 20 minutes but about 45 minutes. I screwed up again - other things going on here. Will do as instructed by the letter from now on. Promise.

12. beene5052

beene5052 Member

Cole at 308Bg at +6. Bouncing? We see vet on Monday. Going to see about starting PZI? Thoughts? We are CRAZY people right now. Not thinking straight from lack of sleep etc. Please bare with us!

13. beene5052

beene5052 Member

Would like to start on Lantus which seems to be what a lot on this site have their cats on. $299.00 though?! We cannot afford that every month. Where is the cheapest place to get it? Canada? I will ask on main forum also.

14. Kris & Teasel

I answered on the main forum. Let me reassure you again that all this will get easier and you'll find a routine that works for you. It's scary at the beginning and the best way to have peace of mind is by testing BG.

Monica & Josie likes this.
  15. beene5052

beene5052 Member

Will test PMPS and +2. Hope he doesn't have another night like last night. Honestly, I 'm the worst person to have this happen to (and of course Cole).
    My husband told my doctors the same thing when I was diagnosed with BC! It also makes it worse when you wake up and look your cat in the eyes and his face says "mom why are u doing this to me?!"

16. beene5052

beene5052 Member

Thanks Kris for all your help so far! We appreciate it more than you know!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  17. Kris & Teasel

Any time! :) You'll be an old hand before you know it. I remember the "deer in the headlights" feeling when I learned about Teasel's FD diagnosis. :nailbiting::eek:

18. beene5052

beene5052 Member

Cole's PMPS 376BG. What dose should I give?

19. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Just stock with 1 for awhile. It's takes time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.