? Dosing Help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mary & Navi, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

I have been giving Navi 1.4u of Vetsulin for about a month. From 2/23-3/6 she was getting really promising numbers (lots of blues). The 42 days of that vial were up on 3/4, but I continued to use it because her numbers were still good, but I opened the new vial on 3/8 because her numbers started creeping up. I’ve been using that new vial since but her numbers are still on the high side (lowest she’s gotten since is 219).

Should I up her dose to 1.6? It doesn’t seem like she’s bouncing-unless I just happen to test her on the high ends of the bounces.

Also, she’s getting a dental and a surgery done tomorrow. If I change her dose, do I do it now or wait until after the procedures?

Thank you!

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

It does look like a bit more juice is needed, but I'd wait on any increases until after the surgery. It's hard to predict BG response to anesthesia, but some cats do drop quite a bit (and then there's the fact that you have to fast them before the procedure). The other thing to consider afterwards is that just having a dental can have a big effect on insulin needs ( @Sean & Rufus is a recent rather dramatic example-- from 6U of Lantus to 1U in very rapid fashion post-dental!), so you might want to wait a bit and re-assess the situation rather than going directly to the increase she seems to need right now.

Good luck with the dental!

Sean & Rufus likes this.
  3. Mary & Navi

Mary & Navi Member

Thank you! Yes I’m keeping fingers crossed the dental will help some! The vet told me no food after midnight tonight and to skip her shot tomorrow. I’m a little nervous about getting a “starving” cat into her carrier tomorrow morning

4. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

Good luck with the dental!!

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Good advice from Nan. GGood luck tomorrow! :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.