Dosing instructions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diane Tyler's Mom, Dec 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, this was an old post that I posted in the Vetsulin forum, this is what my vet told me to go by when giving his insulin and how to adjust it, does this make sense to everyone, As I wrote she told me to look at what his last insulin dose I gave him, let's say the am units, now I test him at night, I look at what she wrote down for me about dosing and I then go by that, either stay at what the morning unit was, it increase or decrease going by what his BG was. Does this sound right
    1. [​IMG]
      Mamakin
      Hi everyone I just started to home test finally, right now I have been giving Tyler 4 units. I went to the vet last night so she could show me how to prick the ear. I got it first try. So this is what she told me about adjusting the insulin. She wrote out. If greater than 220 increase by 0.5 units. If 100-220 do not change the dose. If 80-100 decrease by 0.5 units. If 60-79 decrease by one unit. If less than 60 skip dose. She told me that I would go by what his last dose was,trying to explain this lol .So he was at 4 units, I did the test this morning and his BG was 240 so by doing what she told me I increased it by 0.5 units, so I gave him 4.05 units. Now when I do it tonight I would go by his last dose which was 4.05 units and see what his BG is tonight and then adjust it accordingly. Does this seem right to all of you .

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This is a version of sliding scale dosing recommended by vets quite often. It's not how we do things here however. We rely heavily on the patterns revealed in our spreadsheet (I see your note about not being able to get it on your tablet) to assess dosing and make adjustments. Have a look at this Vetsulin info from that forum's stickies - it's an excellent guide put together by very experienced Vetsulin users:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/beginners-guide-to-caninsulin-vetsulin.186099/

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks so much , I just read it, very helpful, I'm going to call the maker of my tablet and see why I can't download Google spreadsheet or contact Google Thanks for your help

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

You can also ask these FDMB members to see if they can help: @Marje and Gracie @Chris & China

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi 2 people have tried to help me lol the spreadsheet shows up by when I tap on it to fill something in it does nothing

6. Kris & Teasel

I wish I could help but ... :confused: It might be that you need to tap on the "editable" sheet.

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

What is the editable sheet lol

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

So what you might be saying here is let's say that I test him in the am which I test him at 7 am, and his BG is 212. I wait 20 minutes then feed him. Now let's say I test him 4-6 hrs later and is BG is 100 would I look at what my vet wrote and give him the amount of units by going what she wrote rather than staying at 6.05 units if I only tested at 7 pm like I usually do and at that time his BG was 189 which by going what she wrote which says do not change dose. Now I'm really confused lol

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

When I try to open the sheets in drive it says open sheets, then when I tap on it it says not compatible with my device, not optimized

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

I think it's because my Android version isn't high enough, I just read it says For sheets I need a version of 5.0 or up, mine isn't

11. Kris & Teasel

Read over the Vetsulin guide I gave you a link for. It explains it well.

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Can you please send me a private message so I can help you with the spreadsheet? The way it’s set up in your signature block right now, anyone can edit it and we don’t want that. I can also help, hopefully, with your tablet.

To send me a PM, please click on “Marje and Gracie” to the left and then “start a conversation”.:)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  13. Diane Tyler's Mom

Will do thank you

Marje and Gracie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.