dosing pz help

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jodi & Jasmine, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jodi & Jasmine

Jodi & Jasmine Member

I have been closely monitoring Jasmine's blood the last few days. I have reduced her units of insulin to 0.25 from 1 unit and I can't shoot any lower of a dose or she would be getting nothing at all. Even with the 0.25 I am getting quite low readings both pre - shot and random checks - scared that they are too low at times!!!!!!! I have been skipping the occasional dose as well just due to low readings. Can somebody take a look at my ss and see what you think? Thanks. Her numbers have come down tremendously since starting lantus a month ago.

2. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Some of the knowledgeable dosing gals should be along soon, but can I ask what made you go from 1.0U to 0.25?

3. Jodi & Jasmine

Jodi & Jasmine Member

I decreased her dose because I started getting low(er) pre-shot numbers than a few weeks ago and was scared Jasmine's blood would go to low.

4. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I recommend reading through the Tight Protocol thread at the top part of this forum. It lays out the dosing stategy that is recommended here.

Reducing the dose...
    --- If kitty drops below 40 (long term diabetic) or 50 (newly diagnosed diabetic) reduce the dose by 0.25 unit. If kitty has a history of not holding reductions well or if reductions are close together... sneak the dose down by shaving the dose rather than reducing by a full quarter unit. Alternatively, at each newly reduced dose... try to make sure kitty maintains numbers in the normal range for seven days before reducing the dose further.

You are going down too much, too soon it looks like to me. If none of the dosing experts show up before your next shot, I would definitely hold 0.25U. I am pretty new at this so I don't know if they will say hold 0.25 or go back up a step.

Those lower blues can look a little scary at first, but you are getting some cycle tests in there showing that Jasmine doesn't run too low. 4/1 looked like a pretty nice day and you dosed at 84.6, skipping the dose at 102 pushed her back up into the yellows. Skipping doses allows the shed to deplete and then your next shot needs to go to that, so kitty doesn't get to use it and the numbers can rise.

Hang in there. These lower numbers are where you want to be :mrgreen:

5. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

The numbers you are getting are terrific and are not to low! Looks like Jasmine wants to go for remission soon, but she's not quite there yet. It is really important to try and not skip shots. I see you have given her the .25U on preshots less than 100 then on another day you skipped when she was over 100. Lantus is not given based on preshot numbers anyway, I suggest you try and test her sometimes 1-2 hours before you are ready to give insulin (+10 or +11) then test again right before the shot. You will probably see that the Preshot number is somewhat higher than the +11 which tells you that the insulin is wearing off and Jasmine's numbers are rising. Lantus takes a few hours after injection to begin working so her numbers will probably continue to rise until +2 or +3 then start going back down. As long as you are testing she will be safe, if you measure a number that's getting to low (<50) just give her a little snack (Tblsp of food) wait 15 minutes and check again and you will see how it brings her right back over 50. It is possible to give less than .25U (do you have the syringes with half-unit markings?) In the info about Lantus at the top of the forum are some pictures of these "mini-doses" it's tricky but even 1-2 drops of insulin can help keep those green numbers. Once you have lots of greens measured and few or no blues then you are ready to give it a trial without insulin.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The other item that I would add to what people have already suggested is that if you test at +10 or +11 and are concerned about the dose, post before you decide to skip a shot. There are other alternatives to skipping and people here will walk you through the options. If you do need help, post using our subject line conventions so we'll know what's up. For example:

4/2 Jasmine AMPS +11= 78 Dose Help

This will let people know your post is from today and what it is that you need. All you will need to do is to edit the subject line on your first post in this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.