Dosing question/guidance.

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Susan and Timmy, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

Timmy's numbers are coming down. My question is the dosing. I am giving him 2 units in the morning. Then based on his numbers during the day, I am reducing at night. It doesn't feel like that is the right thing to do though, but I am afraid I will sleep through a hypo event at night. :nailbiting: If I am giving 2 units in the morning is it okay to give him 1.0 or 1.5 at night, or am I sabotaging him by dosing this way?

2. Sootyca

Sootyca Member

I have no idea but I work along a similar frame with Sky - I do have to amend her dose at night as knowing how she reacts I would send her hypo on some of the numbers I get in the evening. where possible I do try and keep the same level though.

My only thought on yours is that you do have a lot of data so can see how the insulin affects him. When he is on similar numbers at night as to what he is in the morning I would personally stick with the same dose. Or if you aren't comfortable with that as he is reducing why not try him on a 1.5 morning and night so you aren't swapping his dose around.

Susan and Timmy likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree with what Sky's mom has said. You have a lot of data and he hasn't shown any signs of taking a plunge when you do late evening tests. You could try 2 u both AM and PM on a weekend when it's less painful to set an alarm to test at +6 or so overnight. Your 107 yesterday was low but not extreme. You could try 1.5 u AM and PM if you aren't feeling brave and still get overnight tests in this weekend.

Susan and Timmy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.