Dosing Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Beth & Atlas, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

I am trying to understand this chart http://felinediabetes.com/bg-meter.htm .

What is the difference between nadir, mid-point and mid-point range?

If I have a nadir, lowest point of 125.

Is the mid-point range the group of readings between 4, 6, and 8? 138, 186, 294?

So the mid-point range is the average of those three readings? 206

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Wow. It is difficult to understand, and I'm an engineer working with numbers all day.

This was written in 1995, so kind of dated -- I think Lantus and Levemir were not available in those days, so the BG curves might have been for shorter duration insulins.

In general, RANGE refers to the span between minimum and maximum - so I would think the high and low point for the curve. Range mid-point then might be the average of those two numbers. Nadir on the other hand is the lowest point of the curve.

With what I know about feline diabetes -- these definitions don't necessarily make sense with the dosing recommendations noted in the article, so I hesitate to try and interpret for you -- interested to see if someone else can.

3. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Blue, I believe that info was written at the time for the use of Humulins N, L and U.......... all of which have been discontinued except N. R is still available also but mostly used by ER vets when dealing with DKA.

4. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Agree with Phoebe, can see how confusing this article is.

Maybe need to bring to Rebeccas attention. To me it looks like it is for the insulins before Lantus and Lev days.

5. Beth & Atlas

Well, we're using Humulin N....right. So an interpretation would be real helpful for me.

6. Beth & Atlas

Thanks for taking a look, but we're on Humilin, not Lantus or Levemir.

I have a scientific background too and found the information a bit confusing.

Nadir...easy, simple to understand. The lowest point...

Midpoint, that is the 6 hour mark.

Midpoint range? The hours before nadir and just after?

Nadir before the midpoint makes sense to me.

Midpoint somewhere under 200 fine we're good there.

Midpoint range is a bit high with number climbing outside the range. Increase dose 10%?

7. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I used Humulin N for about 18 months with Norton.

I determined dose by simply looking at NADIR and aiming for "normal" range numbers.

The mid-point range stuff is not necessary and not meaningful, so I wouldn't waste my time with it.

ETA: If nadir was below 60, I would reduce the dose a little (0.5u)
    If nadir was over 150, I would increase the dose a little (0.5u)

In the early days of treatment, when nadir was over 250, I would increase 1u at a time -- keeping a constant dose for a week before making another increase.

Norton was a high dose acrocat.

8. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Agreeing; the rest doesn't matter. Look for the nadir and when it occurs, and how quickly numbers start going back up.

Jen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.