Dosing question

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by LittleRoo, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LittleRoo

LittleRoo Member

Does dosing need to be consistent? Like, can I shoot a 1/2 unit in the AM if AM number is fairly low and then shoot a 0.75 unit or 1 unit in the evening if the PM number is higher? Or is it better to stay within the same dose for 3 cycles (3 days.) ? Obviously, won't ever shoot if numbers are super low.

I shot Roo 1/2 unit yesterday morning as her number was 189 on the ReliOn. I also had a rough night and morning as I lost my best friend on Sunday (found out Monday that he died.) Had a severe stress headache and ended up in bed much of the day. Wasn't sure if I'd be home or well enough - and didn't want her to go too low. Then last night her number was much higher so I gave her a 0.75 unit. (tough to eyeball it too bur did the best I could!)

Just wondering how it should regularly work. Thanks for any input.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, it's possible to give slightly different doses AM and PM. However, it's best if you have many weeks of data to look at. It's possible that the 0.75 u at night is dropping Roo lower and lasting a bit longer so you end up with blues in the AM. I'm not sure what to suggest, really, other than maybe keep doing what you're doing and get a test to two in the +4 to +7 range daily.

LittleRoo likes this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.

Yes, a sliding scale can be used if consistent dosing has been shown to be ineffective/dangerous. I agree with Kris that it's likely that the higher evening dose is causing the lower morning pre-shot numbers. Also, since there isn't data for the mid-cycles during the day, we can't be sure that the 0.5u is actually enough insulin during the day. I'm guessing it may not be since those evening pre-shots are higher.

Is it possible to get a mid-cycle test or two during the day today, or are you at work? If it's possible, that would be great. If not, then I'd go with Kris' suggestion to keep doing what you're doing until you're able to get a bit more data.

LittleRoo likes this.
  4. LittleRoo

LittleRoo Member

Thanks very much. Some tough days here. Haven't even been able to set Roo's dental appointment yet with everything going on.

I would love to get some mid tests but so hard as I am at work during the day and have to get some sleep at night. The weekend might be better to get those +4'sand +7's.

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry to hear about your friend. Getting those mid cycles during the weekend would definitely help!

LittleRoo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.