Dosing question

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Telurin, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Telurin

Telurin New Member

Introduction Here.

Marik's SS is in my sig, can a few of you look it over and see what you think? I know I don't have that much data atm, but every morning at AMPS he's been in 'normal' ranges, with an increase during the day. At PMPS he's high enough I feel comfortable dosing, but I suppose my question is, should be considering lowering the PM dose so we have more consistent values or should I continue on with what I'm doing, even if that means he's only getting insulin once a day?

As much as I'd LOVE a glucose curve everything I've seen says it's too soon to really bother with one, he was only started on Prozinc Thurs (6/7).

2. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

I think your instinct is right. I’d consider lowering to 0.5u to try to get shootable AM numbers. I agree you don’t need a full curve yet, but if you can get some mid cycle numbers to try to see how low he goes, that would help determine the proper dose.

Djamila likes this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! I agree with SpotsMom that lowering the PM dose a bit might help balance things out. How long ago did you start feeding the Sheba and Fancy Feast? Are your other cats eating the same foods?

4. Telurin

Telurin New Member

Thanks for the input! He started on the new foods thursday, before that we had tried a number of things but most recently he was on a combo Dave's Turkey and Royal Canin SO because he'd had a couple of bouts of bladder inflammations (Cultures always came back neg, so no infection, so we reluctantly went on the prescription food for a while since the urinalysis did find struvite crystals). The majority of his life he was on Blue Wilderness dry, but for the last few months or so he's been on food that was at least semi-low carb (up to 15% looking back on the numbers), with the exception of the SO. The Royal Canin's carbs were high (20%) and Dave's were minimal (4%) so perhaps there is a small chance his numbers will look better the longer he's on a diet more restricted in carbs and higher in protein.

He's been eating separately from the other two for about 3 months now without any issue. While he's been an indoor-only housecat with me for most of his life, he did spend his first ~3 months or so as a semi-feral. One of the ferals around where I worked at the time had kittens under our building, and since we were all feeding them he was handleable enough to pick up and take home, which is exactly what I did. So while he skipped a lot of the critical socialization milestones and doesn't like new places or people, it does mean I've never had to worry about him turning his nose up at food since he will happily eat anything you set in front of him.

5. Telurin

Telurin New Member

Well, he was at 107 this morning, so that didn't seem to work :/ His +4 PM number was higher than last time too...

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow! He sure wants to hit those lower numbers in the AM. I'd still do the lower dose at night....I see you gave 1 unit last night on that 335. Let's see what that gives you this morning, but I think you still want to go with a lower dose at nighttime to try to get two shootable numbers.

SpotsMom likes this.
  7. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Yeah he definitely needs insulin more than once a day. A lot of kitties naturally have lower numbers overnight, so he might not need as much overnight, but he definitely appears to need some during the day. I'd go back to 0.5u at night for a few days and see if he evens out on his own. Then if that still doesn't get him high enough to shoot in the mornings, try 0.25u at night.

8. Telurin

Telurin New Member

Believe me, I'd love for him to be dosed twice a day as he should be, but that 335 combined with the higher +4 PM shot number was a little worrying. I have tomorrow off however, so I can try to get some day time numbers now that I think *crosses fingers* I've gotten the hang of ear pokes.

9. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I’d urge you to give no more than 0.5 tonight no matter what his number is at shot time.

SpotsMom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.