Dosing schedule--going out of town

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Crystal & Leo, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crystal & Leo

Crystal & Leo Member

I will be going out of town next week for my birthday and I give Leo insulin around 11/12 since I work at night. The only other person that can administer his insulin won't be home from around 8-5.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work? I was thinking I could gradually give him insulin earlier and earlier on my days off (10 am one day, 9 am the next, etc...) until it's early enough for him the few days I'll be out of town.

Thanks!

2. Catdaddy87

Catdaddy87 Member

Yes you want to gradually change the shot window to the new one before you leave. You need to update your spreadsheet so we can know what is going on. I don't think its a good idea to be giving your cat 4 units and especially when you wont be home. It looks to be way too high of a dose which is why his numbers are dropping so low.

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday! Mine's next week too.
    With any test below 40, I would test again to make sure the test was good and definitely feed him and then test again in 20 minutes to make sure his numbers are rising and then keep testing every 20 minutes until he is above 60 and staying there.
    I am not experienced with your insulin type, but that 37 means he needs a dose reduction. Most people also, besides the dose reduction you should do now, have a pet sitter give a lower dose than you normally would give, especially if the pet sitter is not testing. Keep a sample syringe with some colored water or some juice in it for them to compare their dose to, and show them where you keep the high carb food and syrup or honey. Also keep a printed out copy of the hypo instructions taped to your kitchen cabinet for your pet sitter to refer to.
    I hope you have a nice trip and Leo does fine.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.