Dosing thoughts

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and little, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

so I am back and monitoring again. My gut after yesterday and today and 14 cycles on 1U was that I was probably going to increase tomorrow AM however tonight’s PMPS threw me a whammy. I know we can’t decide until we see AMPS. But weird that her PMPS was lower than the whole day. Granted I stoped testing at + 7 as she was steadily rising but hmmpf!!!! I’m a bit stumped. Thoughts from my way more intelligent friends?

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Not more intelligent, just been staring at spreadsheets since 2013! :rolleyes:

That is very odd that the PMPS was lower...but it could be a number of things. Did Little eat throughout the day? If you think about it, it's not really THAT MUCH lower than the AMPS. It's lower than +7 for sure, but it could be that something happened midday that kind of stressed her a bit and made her numbers go up. Or it could be "oh look a squirrel!" syndrome that calmed down by PMPS. Either way, I'd probably stick with the plan to increase unless you get a really low number in the AM.

3. Lisa and little

Hi Rachel, I have to say today was a pretty uneventful day. So I can’t thing of one dang reason for it. Unless yesterday’s numbers were a result of her being stressed because I was gone 6 days. Both my girls were pissed at me when I got home and took some tome to warm up..lol.

4. Lisa and little

Well so much for the increase theory. + 5 is 98. Lol. Maybe she really did miss me:rolleyes:

Djamila likes this.
  5. Lisa and little

Amps 198... kept the 1U

Djamila likes this.
  6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Welcome back! Little worked that 1u nicely, didn't she? I'll be curious to see what happens today.

7. Lisa and little

Me too! Such a guessing game. +3 is 138. Fingers crossed

8. Lisa and little

@Djamila ...Yeah.? How bout now. Lol:banghead:

9. Djamila

Well, if you would quit giving her cupcakes for snack, maybe that wouldn't happen! ;):smuggrin:

10. Lisa and little

Cheesecake only !! WT Heck? I didn’t raise her tonight cause I was up all night last night but damn!! What to do. She’s being a pesky little critter

11. Djamila

Patience grasshopper. Look at 3/14 and 3/15 and remind yourself what happened when you got impatient and increased the dose too soon. She had a good cycle last night. Give it another day or so and see if those greens show back up.

12. Lisa and little

Yeeess ma’am. I got it. Lol. I guess I was just hoping with 12 cycles at 1U she’s be more consistent by now. Clearly not ... she should have been a boy! Lol.

13. Djamila

Well, you could try a fat 1u. You did still have some room to go a little lower last night.

Or you could increase, take the dive that you know would be coming, steer through it, and then shoot through the bounce (advanced techniques) if you want to drive yourself crazy with constantly monitoring and steering. Some people find that fun.

I do wonder what happened while you were gone. You had a few days of icky numbers right before you left, so I'm wondering if she's been cycling through some bouncing, and maybe the greens will come back faster now....? Might just be wishful thinking.

There is also the option of trying a sliding scale. For most cats it does not work, but every once in awhile there is a cat that can do it. It requires a lot of monitoring, but you do that anyway.

So many choices...:cat:

14. Lisa and little

Lol. So much fun! I though about the sliding scale but ugh!! I think I’ll see where we end up today. I’m inclined to stick with 1U and collect data... I think:rolleyes: it’s obvious she does respond well to 1U SOMETIMES. Can you please explain “shoot through the bounce?” I assume you mean have at it and steer? I also ordered a human meter yesterday... I did some research and decided to be the Diathrive guinea pig. Will def need your help to guide me through that change!!

15. Djamila

I think a human meter will really help you feel better about your numbers. It makes such a huge psychological difference!

Shoot through the bounce. There are a few ways it works, and if you read around over in Lantus you can see the variations, but basically it means that after the low number, you don't reduce the dose because you know that the next few cycles will be high anyway. The trick is that you are trying to time the reduction for the cycle when the bounce will break and the lower numbers will re-appear - so you don't end up overdosing. you have to really really learn your cats patterns. Usually there is a "tell" during the cycle before the bounce breaks. Often the flat yellow cycle. Some cats you can count the cycles and they will consistently break on the fourth cycle after the low (or the 3rd cycle....or the 5th cycle....ECID). Other cats you just have to learn to read their patterns, use mama-sense, and sometimes a little magic.

Of course if you get it wrong, you are steering and testing like a mad woman for a few hours.

It's not a game you want to play if you aren't home and able to test a lot, or if a cat is really unpredictable. I think Little is predictable enough that you could try it if you want to commit that much time, and if she's okay with that much testing.

16. Lisa and little

Well... I guess it’s something I am going to eventually have to do. Just timing it so I can be home for the cycles I expect it to kick in. Looks like Sunday AM will be the starting point :oops: meaning no sleep till Brooklyn!!

17. Djamila

Just to be clear, you don’t need to do it that way. Honestly I’m not convinced it is any better for the cat than the usual way of doing things, and it’s not an approach I advocate for in part because it’s a level of management that just isn’t reasonable or sustainable for most beans. We need to be able to leave the house and maintain our friendships and engage in outside activities that are good for us. Taking care of our cats is important, but so is taking care of ourselves.

18. Lisa and little

Well all I am really gonna do is go to a Fat1 but I will be on pins and needles. Seems like I have to no?

Djamila likes this.
  19. Lisa and little

So I stuck with 1u one more night thinking maybe she bounced from the night of 3/27 where she went lower than normal for a longer time? I guess we’ll see. Would you recommend upping in AM if she stays high? Or let the possible bounce clear out one more cycle ?

20. Djamila

Yikes on those reds. :nailbiting: Honestly, I'd have a pretty hard time waiting any longer myself. Reds scare me. I think I'd rather steer through a dive than see those numbers. Of course, I have no idea where my own patience pants are, so......

21. Lisa and little

Upped her to fat 1 this am...my patience pants are in the wash! Just wish I knew why she did so good on 1U on some random cycles and now this!

Djamila likes this.
  22. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Cupcakes? With or without sprinkles? It makes a difference.
    I shrunk my patience pants so I'm wearing lazy-lederhosen. It's Saturday, what do you expect.

23. Lisa and little

I cannot unsee that!!

24. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry, I swear I'm going before I pollute yet another thread.
    You know what they say about Dutch people. Wooden shoes, wooden head, wouldn't listen.
    Just took my first selfie!
    lederhosen01.JPG

25. Lisa and little

Thank god I can’t see the lederhosen

Noah & me (GA) likes this.