Dosing Times—late or not at all?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by McShep, Sep 1, 2018.

1. McShep

McShep New Member

Hi there,

My cat is on prozinc and gets 2.0 units every 12 hours. This morning we gave it to him around 7AM. We have a wedding to go to around 4PM and I know I will be later than 12 hours giving him his next does.

My question is whether or not it is okay to give him this two hours later than usual? Or is it best to wait until his next dose time which would be tomorrow morning at 7AM.

I’ve heard different schools of thought about this and wanted to hear what this community thinks.

Thanks!
    Molly

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Molly! Eh that's a hard one. Generally with ProZinc you have an hour's flexibility...2 hours can make things harder. If you did that, you'd have to walk your shot time back to normal and that can be tricky. Since I don't really know your cat, my best suggestion would be to wait until tomorrow at normal time. He'll be higher than normal, but that's okay...you can get him back on track in a few days. One question...he doesn't have a history of DKA or anything does he?

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You could give it two hours late tonight, then 1 hour late tomorrow morning, then back on schedule tomorrow night.

4. McShep

McShep New Member

No DKA but we had a hell of a time getting him stabilized a couple weeks ago. His insulin just increased last week from 1 unit/2 times a day to 2.0 units/2 times a day and he’s doing a lot better.

5. McShep

McShep New Member

Thanks for the info!